Buying Stuff as Part of Doing Stuff

quietly closes tab with £400 of fairly unnecessary PC upgrades in it

Used to be but I’m happy to report that these tendencies have regressed rapidly for me over the last couple of years. I did drop a load of cash on a new hobby last year but I feel I spent wisely and did not go too overboard, and I’m getting loads of use and fun out of it
Still doing my other hobbies as much as ever whilst spending as little cash as possible really

I am thinking about getting home brewing stuff - but the bigger worry with that is having space to store it rather than cost.

1 Like

A mini dishwasher does sound great tbf, how small we talking?

was quite bad for this in my 20s but have trained myself out of it. i don’t like making big purchases now and if i do i’ll make sure it’s something i definitey need and already have a use for, rather than something i might hypothetically need it for in the future.

Oooooh yes. Terrible for this.
Recently bought this

Cause I want to get into building things in the evenings, and then I had to buy batteries, and now I have to go to the model shop to buy wood glue and a knife and perhaps a little person figurine and the odds are I’ll never finish it. The kit has arrived and I’ve not even opened the box.

Bought a guitar and I’ve barely plucked at it.

My friends don’t get excited for my new hobbies any more cause they know they won’t last. Was adamant I was gonna get into hand bell ringing but I’ve not touched a bell.

3 Likes

Absolutely. If anyone would like a ton of beads for jewellery making or half used decoupage glues hit me up

1 Like

Still think I’ve got 11 unused condoms from the box of a dozen I bought back when I got well into being a top shagger legend.

Too much effort, hurts my knees, makes my eyes water, look stupid in Lycra.

4 Likes

What on Earth have you done to your user name

Celebrating #geographyweek by going all welsh like me lovely iechyd da poptyping

1 Like

Uuuurgh the staff in hobbycraft must rub their hands together like houseflies when they see me walk in. Card making was the last one. Made about four.

3 Likes

What day is it?

7 Likes

don’t identify with this at all. had the same £100 guitar I got for Christmas when I was 11 until 2 years ago.

1 Like

Had a good 46 year run, that guitar

2 Likes

bet your farts smell like davidoff cool water and all

No strings on it since 2003.

1 Like

Let’s not count how much money I’ve spent on cameras, lenses and films over the past fifteen years or so (and how much money I’m going to spend when I get an email saying that the camera I want is in stock at my local shop)

1 Like

Ooh, and I should count music as a hobby too. Christ knows how much I’ve spent on records over the years. A hell of a lot more than the value that discogs is telling me my collection is worth, that’s for sure.

I once decided I wanted a chainsaw so I could really go to town on a problem hedge, part of an action man / burly gardener / DIY bent I was on. Spent 50 quid on it from a local pawn shop type thing. As I put it down on the front seat I thought “what am I playing at, I’m never going to use a chainsaw to cut the hedge”. It went into the basement as soon as I got home and it’s been down there in the same spot for the last 3 years.

2 Likes

I disagree. Let’s count it.

But seriously, is this a hobby you’ve pursued or one you’ve just spent money instead of properly engaging? If you’ve got your money’s worth over the years then fair play.

Given that my friend who’s done a chainsaw course frequently puts little nicks in his kevlar trousers when working with one I think you’ve done the right thing by never using it.