Buying stuff in Duty Free

Then I simply can’t serve you, sir.

I’d like a massive Chupa Chup lolly filled, I presume, with smaller chupa chup lollies. Thanks.

1 Like

Can I see your boarding pass, sir?

They’re only asking to see if it’s easyjet or Ryanair so they know to look down their nose at you.

Yes it’s … urgh … it’s … think my wife has it… will I have to queue again?

1 Like

If you can remember your flight number…?

Whisky

2 Likes

Buy booze if I have cash left over at the end of the holiday, otherwise just a couple of miniatures for the flight and that sweet sweet toblerone.

My missus is a nightmare for this - she’s convinced that makeup is cheaper in the US and/or duty free. So spend a significant amount of spare time/airport time looking for specific make up items and googling to find out if it’s a good price. Often end up in Sephora looking like a complete bell with a shopping list that I basically just pass to the over-helpful attractive lady. urgh

This tbh. The gf made me pick up some whisky from duty free the other day and I paid slightly more than I would do usually. It’s a con.

Bought booze recently a few times at the airport because it is cheaper than in Stockholm and also easier to get hold of (the booze shops have crazy short opening hours).

2 reasons I shop in duty free:

1. To buy my significant other the perfume that she uses (usually in the UK on the way out) One of those cases where it’s actually cheaper.
  2. Because I have left over money in a currency I’m unlikely to use again and/or don’t want to change back.

Quite like seeing what whisky offers they’ve got on.

If they’ve got a litre of Johnnie Walker Black for around the £25 mark then I’m likely to take it on.

Super worth it for me, from a non-EU country with very high taxes on stuff like alcohol and cigarettes and most other things as well. Everyone from Norway stock up every time we’re flying abroad.

Port at Porto airport: as many bottles as you can physically carry home. OBVIOUSLY.

3 Likes

Always get some on the way back from seeing the TV’s family in The Channel Islands - usually their two one-litre bottles of spirits for £18 deal, and usually one bottle of Finlandia and one of Captain Morgan. Never short of mixers in my gaff. Sometimes get six bottles of Barefoot shiraz for £18 too if we’ve got a BBQ or similar coming up.

Thinly veiled buys Mac cosmetics. Don’t know much about how they compare pricewise as I’m more of a Linux guy.

Used to buy fags for various people as they were super cheap too but everyone I know seems to have quit these days…

Saw these in the duty free at Heathrow last month. The most pointless thing. I suppose it keeps the kids occupied trying to open them while wasting loads of plastic. The mini ones inside were about a third of the size of a normal box.

1 Like

Has anyone ever bought one of those £5000 bottles of cognac?

Should M&Ms World be destroyed duty free will be the only place to buy over priced M&Ms novelties.

1 Like

and what a … terrible… thing that would be.