By-election results

geoff

Lib dems the big winners in Witney despite the tories retaining. Probs a mix of hoovering up some bremoaners plus the low turnout, but still pretty notable.

All racists lost their deposits in Batley & Spen, which is a shame for them

Witney was a constituency that notably voted Remain so a Tory smackdown was coming.

The Lib Dems have been making gains in many By-elections recently. Not just in areas like Witney which fit a certain Lib Dem demographic (middle-class and pro-EU) but also in traditional ‘Labour’ areas too.

Opinion polling still has them at 8% or so still nationally, and extrapolating too much from By-elections is a mugs game, but they are well placed to give both Tories and Labour a bit of a headache for sure. Won’t take much for voters who don’t like the choice between a hard left Labour and a hard Brexit Tories to have another look at the Lib Dems.

‘Hard left Labour’

LOL

Laugh all you like but that’s what people perceive. And with reason.

Lib Dems seem to be happy to be quiet and let other parties tear themselves apart. As I said in another post a while back, this would be their time to really step up to the plate, if only they hadn’t really fucked it over their 5 years in coalition. That’ll be the albatross around their necks.

Don’t think you can read too much into the by election results really. Turnout’s always low and the government often gets kicked a little bit. I don’t see many floating Labour voters in Witney tbh, so if disillusioned Tories are going to go anywhere, it’s Lib Dems, so I don’t think you can read too much into Labour’s performance.

Glad to see the racists lose all their deposits in Batley and Spen. Nice touch of one of them heckling the new MP’s victory speech. Wankers.

Ah yes, it doesn’t matter what the truth is if people believe something different…

We truly are in post-truth world.

Labour’s leader and shadow chancellor have spent their political careers on the hard left of the Labour party - you support them, and you then complain that the Labour party is perceived as hard left? Sound.

IDEA: Replace the big general election every five years with 10 constituencies having an election each month, so that everyone still has a vote every five years.

PROS: Constant drama as the make-up of parliament shifts each month in response to recent developments.

CONS: None.

Seen quite a bit of Progressive Alliance bants this morning because Lab+Lib+Grn votes = winning the seat.

I do think Corbyn needs to challenge this hard left thing, as Geoff is right that it is the public perception, even if its not the reality. Needs to give a few speeches where he talks of being in the centre ground. Sure, he’ll get mocked for it, but if he keeps hammering it home, it might stick.

Think byelection results are pretty much as expected. Have to hope that a Lib Dem resurgence can lead to some sort of LibLab coalition after the next election, then we can get ourselves some PR.

I’m not going to go through this yet again, but Corbyn’s leadership campaigns and policies have been closer to Labour’s 1997 manifesto and the SDP positions than any other Labour leader or candidate since Blair.

The fact that this is considered ‘hard-left’ by the media and people apparently who know about politics shows how utterly fucked this country is.

They could have done worse than collaborate between them and arrange for the strongest candidate to solely oppose the Tory. Labour got an independent to oust Neil Hamilton from a safe seat in 1997 doing that.

I don’t think you’ll see any collaboration between Labour and LibDems in parliament and parliamentary seats after the actions of the latter in the coalition.

It’s left too much bitter feeling across the whole ‘progressive’ spectrum.

What do people think of the talk that was going around anti-brexit groups that Labour and the Greens should have stood aside to help the Lib Dem candidate as an anti Brexit vote?
Looking at the numbers if all their votes had gone to the Lid Dem she would have won. I guess pro’s, it would’ve been a strong anti Brexit message to the government, cons not that democratic. But what is…

Shame political commentators have to go and spoil it all by mentioning his policies/positions of re-nationalisation and unilateral nuclear disarmament etc. then…

Of course this is all a bit facetious (I only used the word term ‘hard left’ because it was a neat/easy counterpoint to ‘hard Brexit’ to illustrate large-chunk-of-the-electorate ambivalence towards extremes) because what’s considered ‘hard left/right’ shifts over time. Although him and McDonnell continue to write op-eds in the Morning Star and attend rallies/events allied with hard-left groups don’t they? Corbyn’s as much at fault for the way he’s framed as anyone.

It’s an interesting one. I don’t think having candidates supporting other parties would ever happen, but possibly, given Witney voted remain, it could have been plausible to have had an independent remain candidate that all other parties could have backed.

Re-nationalistion is ‘hard left’ now?

They should have done this. As I said above, they did it to Neil Hamilton in 1997 and it’d make life even harder for a divided government with a tiny working majority knowing that left-leaning parties are willing to collude to try and edge them out of power.

What intrigues me is that whenever this is mentioned, there’s this sort-of underlying assumption (crudely speaking) that the Greens should just roll over in most seats and give their votes to one of the larger non-Tory parties. Why should they?

If that’s the case, then the majority of the british public must be hard left.