By the time I get to Phoenix

She’ll be rising
By the time I make Albuquerque she’ll be working
By the time I make Oklahoma she’ll be sleeping

According to Google, that’s about 14 and a half hours drive. If we take the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents guideline of a 15 minute break every 2 hours of driving, plus a conservative estimate of 1 hour total for food, that takes us to a total journey time of 17 hours 15 minutes (plus the journey from the departure point to Phoenix, which is unspecified).

Assuming she gets up at a reasonable 8am, Isaacs makes it to Albuquerque between 3 and half 3, when she’s at work, then he’s hitting Oklahoma at about 1am or something like that?

Basically the timeline adds up okay is what I’m saying.

8 Likes

Jimmy Webb seems like a thorough kind of guy so this does not surprise me

1 Like

Yes he talks about drive time between the cities on the episode of BBC’s Mastertapes that he’s on. Seems like a fucking good guy.

Roy Orbison drove all night and ‘crept in your room’. I do not condone this sort of thing.

1 Like

Was he taking breaks for 15 minutes every couple of hours? Dangerous if not.

1 Like

Can I have your best estimate of where Gene Pitney saw a welcoming light and stopped to rest for the night, assuming his calculation of his subsequent journey time was accurate?

1 Like

I’ve finished work for the day, and don’t do these calculations on my own time. Maybe tomorrow.

1 Like
1 Like

Would also appreciate an analysis of whether the timeline in Queen’s “39” (based on time dilation and relativity) is accurate, thx

I think we’d need them to confirm the speed that they were travelling at for the year-long journey before we’d be able to gauge what time had passed on earth in their absence. Seems theoretically sound though.

1 Like