Caecilius est in horto

Think we had it bad enough being forced into learning Welsh re: dead languages tbh

Went to a grammar, but wasn’t posh. Was a bit shit at it and ditched it as early as I could

went to posh school, definitely not posh though. does it make you posh if you went to a posh school even if you ain’t actually posh?

All of the above.

1 Like

don’t really give a shit, glasgow academy

KELVINSIDE IN JAIL?

ha, loads of twats at my school, fucking loads more at kelvinside right enough :wink:

1 Like

Lots of schools in my area still offered it because the education system was stuck at some point in the 60s. Still a fully selective system, with no comps, except for one catholic school where you needed a letter from your priest to have a good chance of entry.

Also did a BA in Ancient History to be decorative rather than useful.

Never! Eat the rich!

Hey stop insulting my (weird) relatives Rory.

Other: spent four utterly fucking miserable years in a private school for a bunch of reasons that are too long and boring to get into. One of the worst decisions my parents ever made in my childhood (which they agree with now), even though they didn’t when I was asking to leave! Did Latin for two years of that, I was fucking shite.

Kind of, but more than that. The people who wrote the books in the 60s were clearly having a lot of fun with them. They took a load of real but obscure historical people like Caecilius, Cogidubnus, Salvius Liberalis etc, and then wrote all these stories with constant death by volcano, crocodile, poison etc and some Carry On style double entendre.

I went to Fishbourne Palace a while back, and the tour guide kept having to make herself clear that no, King Cogidubnus was not poisoned by a dodgy priest paid off by a dodgy politician with mafia connections, and they made it up for the book, and they weren’t even 100% sure if it was Cogidubnus’ palace or what the correct spelling of his name was.

King Cogidubnus!

1 Like

Clearly murdered with some poisoned holy water, no matter what the tour guide at his real palace says.

some top -bam, -bas, -bat, -bamus, -batis, -bants ITT

4 Likes

bamos?

SALVE MAGISTRA!

They will never catch him now!

There’s a roman werewolf story where the werewolf strips his clothes off under the moon and then pisses in a circle round himself to turn into a wolf. They’ve taken that bit out of the story these days.