Cambridge Analytica

Also I know this is a serious thread an’ all, but every time it pops up at the top the words “Comin’ Atcha” always jump into my head.

4 Likes

Heh.

2012, yo.

1. Again.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Can you see it yet? :wink:

How anyone, in 2018, can trot out that bullshit line of oh, they’ll not be interested in little old me and my useless indie bellend data is utterly beyond me.

It used to be true that data is not information, information is not knowledge, and knowledge is not understanding. But the efforts going into automatically joining the data dots, coupled with general ignorance, mean that the are a lot of people who have less of an understanding of their own thoughts than some prick with a mildly impressive spreadsheet.

Mums and wankers™* first, with the rest of us dragged along behind whether we like it or not.

*Also 2012:

Have a lovely weekend. x

2 Likes

I TOLD YOU I WAS RIGHT ABOUT SOMETHING SIX YEARS AGO!

5 Likes

Bit needy, mate.

Let’s be honest, this is almost all exclusively the fault of @hip_young_gunslinger and his cabal of Oxbridge cronies, acting as Zuckerberg’s UK street team and prising us away from the ruddy gruddy bloody FriendsReunited, which, due to not having the first idea about these nefarious activities, tried to do the honest hard-working decent thing of charging to send messages to old classmates. No wonder ITV spent £120m buying it up. Who wouldn’t want in on that? :grin:

1 Like

Tag team! Very revealing.

::updates spreadsheet::

::cross-referencing with::

:smiley:

Yeah, I find it really weird that what seemed to spur Wylie and Kaiser into ‘whistleblowing’ on this was not the realisation they were doing bad stuff, but rather that the Guardian turned up saying ‘hey, wanna chat about this in a blameless magazine-lit video?’

The #FBPE types are going to be in a tizz for days over this.

https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/977655758270713857

Some people seem to be saying that Facebook keep full records of every phonecall and text message you make/send or receive on any device that contains their app.

That can’t be true…surely?

Fuck me he’s stylish

sounds a bit over the top. probably just those same people that tell you chicken nuggets are made entirely out of beaks or some shit.

I think in some cases it’s that Messenger app has access so remotely FB can search your texts for specific data, unless you deleted them.

Remember they own WhatsApp too…

I’ve not had the native apps installed for a while so I don’t know if they do but for Android it is technically possible to use the phones permissions to do such things. The user would need to allow the permissions in the first place but maybe it is not completely clear what the app is doing with those permissions. If you do have the Android app installed you can go into settings and disable permissions if you want.

I just use https://mbasic.facebook.com/ which allows you to access the messenger functionality rather than having the app installed.

i’m pretty sure Facebook reads our texts, they might not literally store every character of each message tho, maybe they have a system that reads them then uses the learning to target ads at us?

so they’d have it noted that i use the word ‘beer’ a lot even if they don’t have it noted that i txt perons x at x time on x date saying “fancy a beer?”

(i have no idea what i’m talking about but i think my guess is fairly reasonable)

even if they don’t do this (as in if they don’t actually ‘read’ the content of those calls/texts), and I don’t know the specifics, but I think people massively underestimate the amount of information that can be gleaned solely from metadata

Yesterday’s news already this, isn’t it?

Yep they’ve played a blinder with the timing of this corbyn stuff.