Can saving money ever be fun?

I’ve set up a spreadsheet which I update every month based on my savings (I have a set amount I put in but usually end up taking a bit back out having to ‘lend’ some to my wife) which automatically calculates the impact on the deposit I’m saving for and what that means for potential future mortgage payments.

It’s made the whole thing a bit more fun, I guess. I’m a cool guy.

Saving money is always fun! I get everything paid out at the beginning of the month and a little something extra into a savings account.
What I would say is being organised saves a lot of money, if you book something at the right time or organise to go as a less popular time you can have the same experience for less.

If simply cooking more than you need is a bridge too far I think you’re a lost cause.
I will not be sharing my tips.

I found a 15 pounds that I put into an app based savings pot.

Just visited my Halifax to turn my account back into a student one and they were playing good music so that’s something fun.

Not fun, but can be satisfying to see how long you can go between spending any money.

Can’t beat a good budget document. I’ve got one that lists everything I have planned for the upcoming few months with the dates the money will be leaving my account - mortgage, gym membership, roughly £20 or so for each gig I’m going to, a fiver for the occasional coffee shop trip… Then a box at the bottom with the money I have in my account minus the expenses I have planned until next payday.

Once it’s all written out and you can see the amount of money you’re dicking away on frivolous, unplanned rubbish, you can shove in an entry for money you intend to save that month. Just make sure to put it in an account you can’t readily access at 1am after a few pints.

1 Like

Imagining yourself as a dragon sitting on a pot of gold is fun

3 Likes

Yes

1 Like

I have done that too. £2 coins aren’t so common that you find yourself dropping them in a pot every day, but enough that the pot mounts up gradually.

I’ve been trying to embrace the reduced stuff at supermarkets and metro stores. I always give it a swerve because people tend to turn into manic idiots around the Whoops! Section (to use it’s official name), and there’s something about people who don’t really need to save a few pence buying something they don’t really want or need that doesn’t sit too well with me. I don’t judge generally, but some of the pricks i see elbowing folk out of the way at Tesco or the Co-Op live in £400k houses. Anyway, i digress, it not not fun when you put your yellow sticker prejudices to one side and embrace it a bit. Okay, cya.

1 Like

This is how my parents save money to pay for Christmas. They save a surprising amount.

Maybe they can afford to live in £400k houses because they buy reduced stuff :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

i got 5 doughnuts from the reduced section in the coop yesterday for 19p

delicious

and you own your own home? sort it out mate

4 Likes

You’re literally stealing from poor people :wink:

1 Like

i also got a baguette for 5p

Pale imitation of Tesco doughnuts imo, but their custard doughnuts are at least vegan.

there was a disappointing lack of jam in them

but still: doughnuts