Can you remember the tallest man you've ever seen

This is the forteenth of a weekly series 7 where I, Jonathan Frakes, ask the Drowned In Sound community questions taken from the show Beyond Belief: Fact or Fiction which I hosted from 1998 - 2002.

Can you remember the tallest man you’ve ever seen?
  • Yes
  • No
  • No, but I can remember a time when I saw someone who was very tall

0 voters

How tall do you think he was?
  • 0 - 0.5m
  • 0.5 - 1m
  • 1m - 1.5m
  • 1.5m - 2m
  • 2m - 2.5m
  • 2.5m - 3m
  • 3m - 3.5m
  • 3.5m - 4m
  • 4m+
  • I can’t remember

0 voters

Where did you see him? Do you know him? Are you him? How do you think his life differs to yours?

I remember whenever there would be a thread about how tall people are on DiS that there were a remarkable number of very tall people posting here.

1 Like

Saw The Tallest Man On Earth a few times. Don’t think anyone will beat that

5 Likes

A minor facet of “the return to normality” has been “unexpected height” when meeting new colleagues in person for the first time despite plentiful Teams/Zoom interactions.

Its given me a whole new way to feel self conscious about my lack of height!

5 Likes

Was desperately trying to reply with a photo of him before someone beat me to it. Damn you

2 Likes

If its irl we’re talking it will have been Simon Shaw I reckon, back when Sale were playing at Heywood Road and you stood a few feet from the pitch. 2 metres 4 and 19 and a half stone is pretty massive.

Nope. Checked this and it turns out John Amaechi is 2ms 8.

It’s quite funny seeing him walk through piccadilly Station. Looks like a teacher walking through a primary school playground.

Sorry :disappointed:

1 Like

how would you know if you’ve forgotten the tallest man you’ve ever seen?

Mike Harrison

I know someone so tall it made his aorta weak so he had to have a operation to have it lengthened with a piece of Gortex. He was in a lot of pain.

Genuinely live in a block of flats where the other flats are occupied almost exclusively by basketball players. So just see a lot of very tall men everyday. Can’t recall any specific one seeming a lot taller than the others.

2 Likes

Yeah. He used to get on the tram at the Crumpsall stop and was fucking huge. At least seven foot tall. Had to really crane his head to get in and then stoop to avoid hitting his head on the roof. Always remember thinking how odd it must be to be on these packed trams and still be able to see from one end to the other as he was at least a foot above anyone else on there.

He always seemed a bit self conscious, understandably as everyone stared at him.

We just know

2 Likes

I have attended many games of the National Basketball Association, so I have seen many tall men in person. Not sure who was the tallest.
The country where I randomly saw the most extremely tall men walking down the street, probably saw about 10 guys 6 foot 8 or taller over 4 days - was Bosnia.

1 Like

Kevon Looney, with the Warriors. Their 2018 championship parade was a block from where I was working, so I got to see all of them. Think he’s the tallest of that group.

A guess would be Greg Ostertag. The “short guy” in this photo is 6 foot 9.

Was in bar in London in 2012 when one of the Olympic basketball teams appeared. Wasn’t a neck that wasn’t craned in the house.

Probably @Matt_was_taken tbh

1 Like

My dad is an inch taller than me so probably him (6’8)

1 Like