Canadian 18 year old lottery winner

If you stuck the million into a high interest account (5%?), you could be making a smidge under $1000 a week anyway.

EDIT: just read about the tax thing. Hm. Maybe not then.

EDIT 2: just read about the weekly sum not being index-linked. Maybe so again!

Can you get 5% on an account you’re allowed to freely draw from these days?

But the tax Marckee, the tax!!

I’d take the grand a week and change my job to being a HLTA so that I’d still get to work 9-3 with kids but could sack off all the extra bullshit of being a teacher

Marckee was wrong twice, lads!

He’d argue he was right all along, but we know the truth.

I’m sure if you had a million dollars you could.

Will he apologise for this?

of course not

Just so we know which people to mercilessly mock…

• I wouldn’t work if i knew i had £1k a week coming in
  • I’ve got a miniscule brain and smell of dusty farts

0 voters

Would rather enjoy my holiday and house now whilst the going’s relatively good then not receive any money in ten years when we’re fighting over Earth’s last water reserves

Work =/= income coming in. Can do something worthwhile with your time.

4 Likes

yeah I’d go work in beer or some other aspect of music that paid rubbish money but I enjoyed loads knowing the money was irrelevant

Would probably try to buy a small football club or something and manage that with my massive amounts of free time. Or run a venue. Not much else appeals if im being honest

1 Like

When I say small, I mean village club level small.

1 Like

$1,000,000 is £550k minus tax

$52,000/year tax free is £28,500/year tax free

if paying tax you’d need a salary of £37,000 to get £28,500

I’d take the £28,500 a year every fucking time

If the $1k a week would not be inheritable by one’s spouse upon death, the $1m lump sum would surely be the better option.

Would probably take a grand a week, I think life is more rewarding when you make smaller steps of upwards social mobility.

If I had a million pounds I’d probably just do something really boring with it, like buy 500 albums on vinyl and not even listen to half of them.

Yes I think this question very much hinges on whether you have dependents or not.

I nearly started a post about annuities and interest rates and the amounts you pay to mortgage companies, but luckily for everyone I veered away at the last second by remembering it’s supposed to be a fun thread.

2 Likes

Surely you’d just not report the death?

Grand a week. Run a little non-profit art space/venue, couple of buy to lets etc.