Car-based stupidity

why does a mirror need electronics?

1. motor-based adjustment/movement. 2. heating/fog clearing 3. indicators on mirror.

edit - or what @jontosh2001 says. Although there’s no excuse for indicators on a wing mirror.

adjust the angle of mirrors from within the car, some fold in, some are heated, some have the indicator lights on.

4 Likes

Someone smashed the whole wing mirror off my old car last year.

Couldn’t be arsed letting the insurance sort it out, and the idiot who broke it was in a UPS vehicle, so they were paying for it. Got a replacement unit for about £70, fitted it in an hour or two (and charged them £30 for my labour :smiley: )

The mirror cap was the wrong colour though, so got Peugeot to sort me one out in the right colour - I think it was about £125 to spray a piece of plastic the size of the palm of your hand! JFC!

It’s just the cover I’ve broken, nothing more…I’ve even managed to clip it back on (in 3 pieces)! Finding a replacement should be too hard…except, like what @urbanfox found, ford want to re-paint a basically black cover to become the right shade of black…

I don’t think you actually need the rearview mirror iirc

you get cars and vans with no rear window and they’re obviously alright

I didn’t think about this until after getting it resprayed, but you could get a pair of chrome mirror caps (or ones with chequered flags, or all that shit) for literally half the cost of getting one resprayed.

Maybe ‘treat’ her to a couple of chrome mirror caps. Probably be able to pick one up in the right colour from a breakers yard or ebay or wherever pretty easy and cheap I reckon anyway.

I was of the understanding you needed 2 mirrors, one of which was the driver side one.

On the way to the scrapyard right now.

She really is the luckiest girl.

Maybe pick up some dinner while you’re there.

2 Likes

Any combo of two is good - a deer’s face took off my driver’s side one and it still passed it’s MOT!

I got a black wing mirror cover, some butchers sausages, a few potatoes and a Savoy cabbage

2 Likes