Car thread. A thread where you help me choose a new car.

I priced a Renault Zoe up a while ago and with the battery rental and cost of electricity factored in, I’d have been spending twice as much as I do on diesel currently. I suppose its not necessarily about it being cheaper to run than a normal car, but it needs to move in that direction for most people to be able to seriously consider them.

The government binned off the subsidies for them as well didn’t they a few months back?

The subsidy was lowered by a grand, aye. Think it’s £3.5k now, plus a significant discount on getting a charger installed at your home.

There’s this leasing company that exclusively do EVs at a really nice rate. Everything’s included - insurance, maintenance, types, even public charging - and pricing up buying a comparable petrol car knocks it out the park. Under £300 a month for everything including fuel is a bit of a bargain.

Shame that I really don’t like leasing.

That does look good. Maybe I’d consider that as a shortish term solution. I don’t really like leasing either, but am very keen for my next car not to be full petrol. So I guess it’s either a hybrid to tide me by, or go to leasing for a bit.

How much do you drive per week, and what do you use the car for regularly?

have driven the last 5 “versions” of these they’ve released, can confirm they are pretty sturdy and the higher spec models can go very fast

that’s my car knowledge exhausted

Hoyooo.

3 Likes

Get a really cool car that can go really fast and do skids

Interesting. Might be worth having a go on it for a month and see how I get on with it.
Only issue is the Zoe is too small really and everything else is too much £.

Canyonero

I thought this said cat thread and was about helping you choose a cat :pouting_cat:

Kia Soul?

Similar design & price to the Jeep but more reliable?

I could never drive a B**. I’m not a wanker.

One of my best mates drives a BMW.

he is a bit of a wanker

Ooh sick burn

No offence like…

I have a 208 which, despite the 1.0ltr engine, I never thought of as being slow. But now I think that it probably is very, very slow and I would like to go much faster.

I am interested in a Fiesta ST-2 or a 208 GTi. Anyone any experience with either of these?

I had a 208 with the same engine as the GTi, just not tuned as much (156bhp rather than 208). I might have just had a dog, but I had nothing but problems with it - water pump failed (think there was a recall out for it not long after I had it go), some other issue with the coolant system, oil pressure light used to randomly pop up, started misfiring a few weeks before I got rid of it.

Fiestas get stolen a lot. If it’s not got the keyless system, you might be alright though…

Good point about the keyless thing. I don’t live in a massively rough area but I don’t think where you live stands for much these days with this sort of thing. Will bear that in mind.