Carillion

Bit odd that Interserve aren’t mentioned in this, but it’s worth a read anyway:

Can I mute threads I’ve created

1 Like

Change the option at the bottom where it says tracking. Pretty sure it works.

I’ll add you to the pm chain :+1:t2:

Probably the only place on the net where I might find someone else who sees this name and thinks of the Querelle song Carillon?

@guntrip ?

Nope, probably just me.

2 Likes

Ronseal URL

3 Likes

FT is a paywall maaaana.

I know it’s the economist but this was a fairly good summary for plebs like me who are still trying to get their head around PFI and things like that.

Only part of the way through, but it explains how they underbid for risky contracts and then:

But Carillion’s management was also culpable…

(my emphasis)

How were management not culpable for the way they kept bidding for risky stuff on wafer thin margins? Seems to me that’s the kind of thing they’d have been signing off, no?

I suppose, although to be honest I’m not particularly savvy at this kind of stuff if you’re putting out a tender for public business you should also look at the state of the company who are bidding which in this case was the government’s job.

Oh, for sure. The government basically admitted the other day they were putting contracts Carllion’s way when everyone else was pulling out to try and stop it collapsing; which as a “customer” as May claims is a terrible way to procure stuff and a sign you’ve over-exposed yourself.

Carillion were a fucking ball-ache to deal with when I was in the construction game. So many layers of smoke and daggers, fog of war and all that.

Of course, I feel utterly wretched for the employees that have been and are going to be stiffed by losing their jobs and pensions (not to mention the thousands of smaller businesses and suppliers who are being shafted as I type), but those at the top can absolutely get to fuck. As can PFI, as can the Tory Party.

And new labour

1 Like

Not really about Carillion, but brilliant all the same This is not a Corbynite coup, it’s a mandate for his radical agenda | Gary Younge | The Guardian