Cassettes

Max tundra did a limited edition tin of soup edition of his last album with download code. I actually bought it, not one of my finest moments (it was dirt cheap on sale in jumbo records):

https://www.piccadillyrecords.com/counter/product.php?pid=58883

I’ve literally thousands of cassettes in the loft, used to collect bootlegs. Loved nothing more than trading cassettes of gigs with people from all over the world. The thunk as a big Jiffy bag of cassettes landed on the doorstep from the postman was one of my favourite sounds between the ages of 14 and 18. (Probably better than the sound of half the audience recorded bootlegs i received).

2 Likes

i tried to fit all of Nirvana’s From the Muddy Banks of the Wishka onto one side of a C90. I cut out the intro and all the audience noise between tracks.

Reading this thread, and there are many great, evocative comments I couldn’t help but feel there is a real gap in the market for a decent all in one hi-fi / music centre system. One with a decent stylus (the market of Steepletone / Crosley really misses the mark) and the ability to record onto cassette. I agree the art of making a tape is all but lost and it made the compiler of such cassettes there own artist in a way.

I quite like the look of them. They’re neat and compact, and you can carry them about and bring loads on journeys. Can’t do that with vinyl.

My dad used to play Echo and the Bunnymen’s later albums on cassette in the car, not even that long ago (around 2001 when Flowers came out). Have memories of OK Computer being played in the car as well, and R.E.M.'s Reveal.

Lost Map do a pretty decent line in these : Postcard Shop — Lost Map Records

First stereo I got to use was one of those massive 70s one made by Sharp. In the home when I was growing up. Turntable, tuner and cassette player. Each part was very good quality, illuminated VU meters and everything. I taped the vinyl I bought to listen on a walkman. I took the deck with me when I left home and used it for years.

1 Like

Growing up only one of our cars had a CD player, so I copied my earliest CDs onto cassettes. Spaceboy is the first one that comes to mind for me too.

Other notable ones were Pillar of Davidson by Live and Just Wait by Blues Traveler that a friend copied for me before I even had a CD Player. I still remember the exact moment in each where it cut out.

I thought I was onto a new idea there, they look really great.

[There’s not enough] space boy…

(and same for me, I think it’s in a key moment of Billy Whine as well, always my least favourite track on Siamese Dream - either because of that or just because.

Ah the VU’s. Loved that feature on old systems.

1 Like

Yep. I just replaced my amp, and I very nearly bought a 70s Yamaha or Pioneer with them. There are plenty of nice sounding models out there with that lovely retro style.

Agreed just strange that 2nd hand is seemingly the only real way forward.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/technology-53472748

Really don’t understand this at all. At least vinyl records sound nice

3 Likes

I’ve a few tapes but only if it’s the only format available or if it comes in a bundle for an extra quid or two.
Some labels are tape only (more cost effective for small run stuff).
It’s fine like, if it’s getting people buying product and helping artists nstead of streaming its good imo.

1 Like

It’s more the idea of labels charging £10 for a cassette tape in the year 2020 that annoys me.

Absolutely fair enough if it’s an independent artist selling a few they’ve made on Bandcamp though.

I used to buy them second-hand as they were only about £1 and nobody wanted them!

2 Likes

I’ve bought a couple of cassettes in the last couple of years - one was the only physical format and the same price as a download, got another one in a label sale where it was cheaper than the download (wasn’t into the album enough to splash out for the vinyl), and the most recent one i bought as a favour to a friend who released it on her new label

would not be paying anywhere near a tenner for one though

2 Likes

local second hand record shop got a load of old cassettes in recently and i was really tempted to get a couple. Kid A was in there. didn’t bother in the end as they were all £4 each while the second hand CDs are mostly £3. better value.

2 Likes

That voodoo?
Was it four they were lookin?

yeah the box was at the counter so i didn’t have a proper look through them but a lot of the ones from instagram looked like they were gone already. £4 stickers on all the ones i saw. that was a few weeks ago, not sure if there are any left now. was tempted by the Kraftwerk one actually

For 4 quid I’d have got Radiohead just to have I guess. Ah well.
They’re pretty odd, loads of junk then some gold that comes in and moves fast

1 Like