Cat Thread 🐈 (rolling)

The Fresh Princess Of Bel Air…well, west Edinburgh.

2 Likes

Spotted on my morning 1x exercise, surveying a much-quieter than usual domain

12 Likes

Yeah, what’s the big deal, dickhead?

17 Likes

Anybody got any advice on fostering an environment where two kittens will be friends? There was a little bit of hissing on the first night so we decided the separate them while they got used to the house, Cosmo lived in the bedroom and Magda lived in the living room. We game them alternate free roam of the rest of the house. Yesterday somebody managed to nudge the living room door open as they were eating and we were worried at first but they just seemed to be sniffing and getting along. When it was bedtime we put them back in their separate rooms but today that clearly wasn’t going to fly because they both want to roam. They mainly keep to themselves, but when they do encounter each other they clearly don’t get along. Mostly they keep out of each other’s way, but you can tell they’re on edge whilst the other is in the room, and occasionally they’ll his and swipe at each other. Each of them seems to become a bit territorial when the other is in the room they were originally kept in. Hopefully they’ll become used to each other over time, and this is only day 1, but has anybody else seen this sort of thing or know what the best thing to do is in this situation?

It’s fine to let them interact and they may even fight. Cats do that; carnivores play hard. You’ll be able to tell if the fighting gets too serious, at which point go back to keeping them separate.
If you don’t want to let them work it out right now (and that’s fine, too!), then I suggest swapping their bedding on a regular basis. So, they have their own bedding for two nights, then you swap for another two nights, and then you wash the bedding and start over.
You can feed them “together” by having one eating on one side of a closed door and the other just on the other side.

P.S., They may never be friends. Sometimes that just happens that way. So long as there aren’t actually serious battles, they should be able to at least live together. Many folks over in the SA catte thread have commented that their cats actually hate each other but don’t indulge in too much violence.

2 Likes

18 Likes

You have one majestic cat cbay!

1 Like

16 Likes

It’s not taken my refugee long to find that particular spot in my apartment.

Once that disappeared in the afternoon, she found her favourite thing to walk around on in the old place.

16 Likes

And then we had to have yet another conversation about “social distancing”.

12 Likes

Must kill the little red ball

Must get too high up and not able to get back down

17 Likes

17 Likes

What you lookin’ at, mush?

17 Likes

“Dignified”. “Elegant”. “Refined”.

#notallsiamese

16 Likes

Posted this in the ninendo switch thread. Sooty got involved.

15 Likes

My little twats gave killed two beautiful bullfinches in the last week alone. I don’t think I’ve ever even seen a (living) bullfinch before. Need to get collars back on them.

We’ve definitely turned a corner today, I don’t think there’s been any fights at all. We’ve had a little bit of angery chasing each other about, and a couple of low key growls, but by and large they’ve been getting along. They’ve been in the same room and minded their own business for most of the time, earlier on they were even sat on the bed together immediately next to each other quite happily. We’ve been rewarding good behaviour with lots of dreamies, so they seem quite pleased with how things are going. I think I’m going to leave all the doors open when we go to sleep tonight.

They could’ve done all of this before I spent £30 ordering a pheramone diffuser which claims to make cats friendly. I’m just pleased they’re getting along and I don’t have to worry about them now.

(Best picture I could get of them near each other, they always move when I get my camera out, Cosmo is that little black shadow in front of the litter tray)

17 Likes

My grumpy girl :black_heart:

15 Likes

Possibly the weirdest he’s ever looked

9 Likes

A rather more conventional photo from earlier

12 Likes