Cauliflower

Love it in a curry, or roasted in the oven, or even raw as a snack (just eat some raw bits of it while I’m cooking). Excellent in a white-sauce pasta bake also, obviously.

It will never reach quite the dizzying heights of its green cousin on my veg-o-meter I’m afraid, but it’s definitely a trusted and valued companion nonetheless.

1 Like

It absorbs flavours really nicely, and I really like spicey cauliflower bite type things - always seems to work out well.

1 Like

What do the vegan/vegetarian members of our community think to the use of cauliflower as a meat substitute, in things like ‘buffalo cauliflower wings’, ‘cauliflower steaks’ etc…?

I’m a late convert to cauliflower, having spent my formative years eating homegrown cauliflower will all of the nutrients boiled out of it for an hour.

I like to roast it mainly and (@Funkhouser) find it to be a very good sub for chicken if I’m making things like wraps (especially buffalo or piri-piri) or noodles (five spice and honey or, probably, @anon45164313’s lemon tofu sauce). It holds sauce and flavour really well.

I also find it works really well as a sub for mince in bolognese if you shred it up into mince-size fragments. @rich-t posted a good cauli recipe involving fried peppers and steak seasoning once.

I know it isn’t a popular opinion but I am not really a cheese person so don’t fuck with cauliflower cheese.

I do generally prefer broccoli though. The Child refers to cauliflower as white broccoli.

1 Like

Veg things and pretend meat will always be different spheres imho, like the difference between a veggie burger and a quorn burger it’s not very comparible.

I guess cauli’s used for this though because cut right it’s substantial for a veg, and it carries sauce really well. Cauli in curry is A*

3 Likes
  • Broccoli
  • Cauliflower
  • Get fucked, I hate both

0 voters

Get fucked, I love both.

4 Likes

Dalepak used to do Cauliflower Cheese Burgers and they were great!

1 Like

Cauliflower rice is great with curries if you want a lower carb option to regular rices.

1 Like

Cauliflower wings really annoy me because they’re absolutely delicious but calling them wings is incredibly annoying so I don’t like myself ordering them

2 Likes

Yeah that would put me off for life I’m afraid. Like when places name dishes after films or celebrities or whatever, I’m sure it’s delicious, but there is no way I’m ordering a ‘Life Aquatic Sandwich’ or an ‘Italian Job Wrap’ etc etc.

1 Like

Need to have a menu I can point at when I’m at somewhere like that, can’t deal with it

2 Likes

“Ooh yes one Eternal Sunshine burger please, and I side of Pretty Little Fries. How delightful!”

• An idiot

With cauliflower it’s fine because if you ask for ‘the cauliflower’ it’s obvious what you’re talking about.

When it’s burgers/sandwiches and you have to describe in detail the thing to avoid saying the ridiculous name they’ve given it its painful

1 Like

Similarly if theres a great offer like 50% off the bill but youhave to say “SAUSAGE WHISPERER” or something.

I’ll just pay full price.

2 Likes

Best to just cause a scene and leave in these places I find.

“COME UP TO THE COUNTER AND TELL US YOU’RE JUST CRAZY FOR OUR SHAKES AND WE’LL GIVE YOU YOURS FOR FREE”

Prison is too good for these jokers.

3 Likes

Absolutely bowfing. The only thing that stop it being the worst foodstuff in history is the existence of sprouts and broccoli.

Should be banned and anyone farming it put in the stocks.

There’s a place i want to try at the moment and their 50% code is just EATMCR so nothing cringey but its still mortifying having to say anything

I am going to say it but I’m going to say it like “apparenrly there’s 50% off the bill if i say…[big gap hoping they interrupt and just sort it out]… something like…eat…manchester [dies on the spot from shame]”

2 Likes

I’d go with “and to get the 50% discount, I have to… ask about eating My Chemical Romance?”

2 Likes