CD shopping in 2021

:thinking:

3 Likes

Fuck off Lorde.

3 Likes

So it’s a cd box without a cd?

I think my favourite part of this is that the disc would have been the cheapest part of the package to include. What does a blank disc cost these days? 5p?

Top-level trolling.

3 Likes

Yep

1 Like

From Stereogum:
“The album is a celebration of the natural world, an attempt at immortalizing the deep, transcendent feelings I have when I’m outdoors,” she said in a press statement. “In times of heartache, grief, deep love, or confusion, I look to the natural world for answers. I’ve learned to breathe out, and tune in. This is what came through.”

In keeping with the album’s environmentally-focused theme, Lorde says she’s forgoing a physical CD release in favor of what’s described as “an eco-conscious Music Box” as an alternative to CDs, which will contain exclusive photos, a download card, and bonus tracks. There will still, however, be a vinyl release — “beautiful standard vinyl with a sky-blue disc, and a very juicy deluxe vinyl only available on my site with the sickest giant foldout poster,” as Lorde noted in a newsletter.

5 Likes

Wasn’t there a load of talk about how downloads are actually worse environmentally than a cd.
Bloody hell Lorde you’ve only created the absolute worst of both world from an eco perspective.

Imagine if Lorde made this the new norm.

Bet the vinyl is an illusion or a figment of the imagination in a super deluxe box:
£120

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

BTW, Lorde - this is what a music box is. It’s kind of the opposite of yours, in that it actually plays music.

5 Likes

Oh wow so there’s no actual cd option.

Tbf the coloured vinyl is the same price as the black vinyl…oh €12 extra for the version with a 7” picture disc that I’m sure will sound great.

It’s a nice idea in theory but could they not have just done a batch of CDs that correlated to the amount ordered? It’s not like vinyl where you need to do it in batches and might have loads unsold, she could’ve quite easily just taken 3452 pre-orders and done that amount?

It’s also sixteen fucking quid

3 Likes

Same, I tend not to buy a vinyl version of something I already have on CD, just keep both if I do.

Thinking about it, I don’t think I’ve ever sold a CD or Vinyl.

Good [bad] Lorde!

As someone that still wants a physical product and buys cds as preferred option, vinyl when I can’t get the cd (seems to be becoming increasingly common), I draw the line at spending 16 quid on an empty box

2 Likes

Nice to see a music consumer finally saying ‘enough’. Solidarity.

2 Likes

I mean… you could at least call it a ‘book’, Lorde.

1 Like

I get the fact that record companies are businesses and need to make money, and artists need to make a living, but this is just a rip off. Don’t try to pass it off as eco-conscious ro make it seem acceptable

4 Likes

Keep seeing this quote from Lorde: “I wanted this Music Box product to be similar in size, shape and price [my emphasis] to a CD, to live alongside it in a retail environment" and I love how aggressively cynical it is.

“I wanted it to cost the same as a CD but not have an actual CD, but also it somehow costs substantially more than a CD”. Amazing.

Edit: “And is also designed to be stocked in the CD section of a music shop and therefore look very much like the sort of thing that would contain a CD apart from a presumably tiny sticker that says ‘does not contain CD’.”

1 Like