CD shopping in 2021

My first CDs were Dark Side of the Moon and Songs from the Big Chair. I already had the albums on cassette and wanted to compare the formats. It was better, but not the massive step-up from when I upgraded the radio from MW mono to FM stereo.

Do electronic music fans generally prefer CD to vinyl? CD feels a more natural format for music created on a laptop (in the same way vinyl seems a more natural format for jazz).

Mp3/FLAC surely? :grinning:

Some people like the ‘warmth’ vinyl gives electronic music but when it comes to ambient and ambient adjacent music, CD is King. Higher dynamic range and no machine or surface noise means you get real silences and more detailed quiet passages.

I bought my first ever copy of Electronic Sound magazine and it comes free with a 7”vinyl (not opened the mag or listened to the record yet and it’s been 2 weeks)

Only magazine I buy anymore. Don’t tend to go for the vinyl editions though.

1 Like

My Dad had a big hi-fi and CD player in the lounge but I would buy stuff on tape well into the 90s. We never had vinyl in the house, he went straight to CDs early 80s as he is a classical nerd and didn’t like all the crackles. I had Oasis singles, Parklife by Blur for example on tape. The first album on CD I got was Definitely Maybe at the same time as one of those wide, squished looking CD boombox things which advertised “mega bass”. Tapes for the car I would use until 2003 or so, I was still taping stuff off mates until I got a CD writer about then too. I did sell all CDs a few years back so actually the time I spent with that as my main format was pretty short. I managed to get in while there was still some value and there were still bargain LPs to be found. I replaced a lot with vinyl, the rest I was happy to have the mp3 of.

I can definitely see there being a renaissance in CD buying, not necessarily for the retro appeal but because so many are dirt cheap second hand. This is what drew me to LPs, why spend a tenner on something on CD from the vinyl era when it went for £2 in a second hand shop, and it was the original with all the liner notes etc? If people are starting out collecting physical media now, trying to find a way into the LP market with little money is pretty difficult these days.

First CD bought was Victorialand by Cocteau Twins in 1986. I was buying anything on 4AD on vinyl and CD for about 5 years after, but gradually phased to CD only and then back catalogued all the best of my LPs onto CD. Despite a few enforced part sell offs, I still have a healthy collection.

Haven’t had a turntable for 15 years and sold off the vinyl a while ago, but have started to buy some special vinyl pressings for the beauty. It’s getting so much harder to buy CDs in a bricks and mortar shop.

1 Like

Yeah, I really like ES, but it does focus rather too much on 70s/80s at times. So much good electronic music has been released in the last 30 years and it doesn’t get the look in that it should. What about some articles on Warp, Mo Wax, Pete Namlook’s enormous discography, Biosphere, even Aphex? Delia Derbyshire seems to be in there every month.

1 Like

Absolutely agree with this. I appreciate the ‘And This Is How We Got Here’ aspect to their historical articles but they could definitely stand to talk more about music made from 1990 onwards. On the other hand I can spend a good couple of hours endangering my wallet by going through each issue’s review section with YouTube and Bandcamp…

1 Like

Yeah, ditto, also it’s fun to see Disintegration State’s releases appear in there from time to time too!

1 Like

I have to say I have Dummy and Mezzanine on big old heavy vinyl, and they both sound incredible. Certainly the best I’ve heard them.

IIRC, Geoff from Portishead is such a vinyl enthusiast he cuts his samples and song parts to vinyl and re-records them so you get surface noise on Portishead albums regardless of what format you listen to them on.

Yeah, but it’s (going to sound like a wanker) the dynamic range you get. And the warmth. Bloody amazing.

Just looking at Juno Download now. Is it a properly legitimate site? some of it seems a bit too cheap to feel like artists will be getting money. For some reason they have the latest giant Convocations album(s) from Sufjan (49 tracks) for just £7.49.

Trying to decide which albums to buy for Bandcamp Friday, and was just checking some albums on Juno that are on my Maybe list (where I don’t like them as much and/or bandcamp is quite pricey) and found them a lot cheaper on Juno. I’m too scared to check my Definite list, as the whole point of buying on Bandcamp day is for me to give more money to the artist!

It is legit yeah, it’s connected to juno.co.uk which sells vinyl. It’s great for bargains so I often use it for albums I wouldn’t have bothered buying otherwise but yeah I can imagine it wouldn’t pay artists as well as Bandcamp.

Thanks. maybe i can use it like the impulse buys i used to make with my emusic subscription, and hope i don’t get addicted to it!

1 Like

Juno downloads is a bit weird with the charging variable rates for different file formats. Still really cheap though even if you buy flac.
Sufjan album being half the Bandcamp price even for flac seems an absolute bargain.

1 Like

We must be of similar vintage, @bornin69x, my first albums were Parallel Lines, New Boots and Panties and (less ‘cool’) Out of the Blue. And I think I beat your “uncoolest” first single with the novelty record “Toast” by Streetband, Paul Young’s band of the day. I would have been 13. Them were t’days.

1 Like

Toast is actually quite good though.