Character Actors

There’s nothing I love more than a favourite character actor popping up in a film, maybe only for a few minutes, and immediately catching my attention.

My favourite of all has to be Dick Miller. I have loved The Burbs for as long as I can remember and he’s always been a highlight even though he’s only in one brief scene. There is something so captivating about his face. He doesn’t even need to say anything and he’s got my attention.

His face is so “lived in,” like he’s experienced everything before and he’s grown tired of everyone’s shit.

He could do the lead role, like in A Bucket of Blood, support in Gremlins or just adding flavour in Terminator but every time I see him, I can’t peel my eyes away.

Philip Baker Hall is another one I love to see. Again, like Miller, he’s got this downtrodden, world-weary aura, like a million people have tried to get one over on him but he’s wise to all the tricks.
I feel like Baker Hall should have been in far more films in a more prominent role. When you see him as Nixon in Robert Altman’s Secret Honor, you can see the man could really act. It’s just Nixon in his office, ranting and raving into a tape recorder and yet, it’s utterly compelling.

Who are your favourites?

3 Likes

Good thread idea

Died the other day, RIP - brilliant at being a total piece of shit

3 Likes

I thought “character actor” was American for “trained actor or someone who is an actor cos they are good rather than just being ravishingly attractive”. I’d argue most UK actors fit the US definition of character actor.

13 Likes

IMG_2797

The best

12 Likes

Yeah, kind of…

Just means not a Lead Actor

this guy

1 Like

3 Likes

Harry Dean Stanton

5 Likes

Absolute go to for any Good Ole Boy roles, with bonus points if its a bent Sherrif / cop.

1 Like

Holy shit! How did I forget?!

This guy, Victor Garber (had to look up his name). Only really know him from Legally Blonde, but in my head I cast him as any well bred middle aged professional across any novel I read

IMG_4536

9 Likes

Ruth Gordon, always an amazing presence on screen

5 Likes

Dick Miller? I barely knew ‘er!

2 Likes

Saw Speed (1994) and was reminded of one of my favourite "hey, it’s that actor"s of all time

7 Likes

7 Likes

Dwight’s babysitter / girlfriend in the best Office US episode.

1 Like

Dabney’s mum in Malcolm In The Middle of course

Oh he’s in Schitt’s Creek as a former co-star of Daytime Emmy Award-winning Sunrise Bay!

Jack McGee.
Even when he’s playing ‘nameless bartender’ which he has multiple times. find him fascinating to watch.