Charli XCX

I absolutely love 1999, just don’t think it’s right on this album. Maybe Warm will grow on me…

That’s because it’s the chorus of Viva La Viva by Coldplay

1 Like

not that into chairlift but the ramona lisa record is brilliant so high hopes for this

Ex partner just dug these out: from when Charli XCX played our club night at the Good Ship in Kilburn, November 2008. She was underage so her parents had to come with her (they were lovely). That’s me introducing her.

31 Likes

This is INCREDIBLE :heart_eyes: what was in her backpack?

Haha absolutely no idea. Seem to remember it was her thing at the time, I saw her a few different times around this era at dodgy east london warehouse parties.

2 Likes

She is definitely the coolest person alive, it’s not even a debate

1 Like

Taste, hey? There ain’t no accounting for it.

Blame It on Your Love is the obvious stand out to my ears. Official is great. Have no time at all for Shake It, and would be just as happy if I’d never heard Click, too.

Blame it on Your Love is great - but the version on Pop2 (Track 10) is way better! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Yeah this new one is nice but the pop 2 version was better

1 Like

OK, so listened 4-5 times now. Here’s my first impressions. I think some of what I mention are comments other people have made above as well.

Kind of like it, but doesn’t feel as cohesive as the others at the moment. As 1999 came out a while ago, it feels strange being on here, but still love it. Blame is very good, and usually when a remix/rework comes out there is a period of hating the new version, then slowly getting used to it. The fact that it’s different enough, but based on track 10 means I love both (with the original slightly edging it). It’s a hard trick to pull off.

Shake It, Click kind of meh for me at the moment, and 2099 as a finisher feels just like it limps out. I love Official, just a different vibe for her, and lovely.

So with a different sequencing and trimming, could be a classic. It’s always going to suffer given how much I adore POP2, which I just still love after all this time. Some of that is bound up with seeing her about a year ago at VU performing it.

I think for me, Let’s Eat Grandma and SOPHIE were the last two really innovative pop albums that came out and it doesn’t quite match those (yet at least).

1 Like

Yeah I liked Shake It first time but everytime I’ve listened to it since I have no idea why I liked it. The 2nd half in general falls flat for me but the first half is full of bangers

1 Like

Gonna admit that I have no recollection of a version of BIOYL being on Pop 2. I only listened to the latter about 3 times, because it didn’t grab me at all.

Back from holidays, picked up my copy of Charli and damn it gooooooood. She’s done it again! :black_heart::black_heart::black_heart:

Not about this tho

Step away from the chud, Charli

3 Likes

Not a fan-tano?

I completely agree with all of this. I do like the album, but after Pop 2, and albums like Let’s Eat Grandma and SOPHIE like you cite, I really thought that Charli was going to be the catalyst for PC Music’s definitive, landmark pop album, and I can’t help but feel it’s slightly bottled/a bit all over the place. What I think really exposes it, like many people are saying, is how much better Track 10 is than the album version of Blame, which sounds completely watered down and neutered. I just wish we could hear the album that this could have been if they went at it with the same fearlessness of production as the mixtapes.

2 Likes

This!

This is definitely a weirder album to my ears than LEG

I think I must be the wrong kind of pop fan. Listening to Track 10 now, I can enjoy it, but in the same way that I might enjoy a remix of a song I really like: I like it as a reinterpretation, and can appreciate its risks and experimentation, but I appreciate them all the more for the fact that they’re a variation on a killer pop song that I already love.

Track 10 is superb from 2:02 through to around the 3:20 mark. The rest of it (the bits that everyone else loves, presumably) takes it away from what I like in pop (which is the idea, of course).