Check this list - Radio X ‘Best of British’

If someone ate nothing but pizza I’d appreciate they were probably enjoying some tasty meals but I’d also think they were fucking weird.

3 Likes

There were no men in the DiS top 10 records of 2017. There were some great records though!

The beauty of freedom of expression and freedom of the press is that we can choose to enjoy opinions from all gamuts of the spectrum. I wholly appreciate the opinions of the listeners of Radio X in choosing their “Best of British” in the same way I wholly appreciate the decision of a select few to choose Drowned in Sound’s top records of 2017.

Not as weird as if they only listened to Radio X approved tunes, mind. I mean there’s a LOT of pizza varieties.

what? joy division at 51? come on now.

If you were to sum up the musical preferences of Radio X listeners with a pizza topping, what would it be?

Personally I’d say Calzone - incredibly insular, but containing a variety of ingredients within.

If Radio X is that bad, I’d say simply don’t listen to it.

1 Like

I tried that with Trump. Turns out he’s still poisoning the minds of millions of human beings (and killing others).

2 Likes

What’s your opinion on Obama’s foreign policy?

Not that great.

1 Like

Radio X is not killing anyone, or even showing support for dictatorships via social media, as far as I know (could be wrong).

No it’s not but that’s a peculiarly literal reading of my point which was obviously that it is helping to reinforce other negatives in society: patriarchal, sexist and racist conventions, particularly by revelling in being part of the kind of ideas, e.g. Lad culture.

2 Likes

Until now I had happily forgotten The Twang ever existed.

2 Likes

This is a station which mainly plays lad rock. I wonder what the results would be if a Hip-Hop oriented station did a poll to name their listeners’ top three tracks. Or repeated with this very forum. This seems to be the key really and why it got as narrow as it being dominated by multiple songs by artists like Oasis and the Stereophonics.Their listeners may well have a few PJ Harvey records knocking about but it would still need them to put a specific track in their top 3, then have multiple others doing the same.

It is different if it was a curated, compiled list by the station themselves designed as a more objective “best of”.