Chess (rolling)

I’ve been trying to learn how to play for a while, but progress seems quite slow. Thought it might be an idea to arrange an online tournament and have a rolling thread for tips and advice and ad-hoc games, etc, etc…

2 Likes

https://www.chess.com/home

sicilian defence

Thought we could have a knockout tournament to get us going. I use this site (https://lichess.org), you don’t have to register and and there’s an easy tool where you just generate a short link to the game and give it to your opponent, etc.

So for now just like this post if you’re interested, we’ll do a random draw and maybe play best of three?

9 Likes

One thing i’m particularly interested in is using my rooks to more effect offensively. I always end up using them as defensive protection and have rarely if ever got into a situation of using them properly on the other half of the board…

play me (haven’t played in about 15 years)

cmon, I’m really shit, someone click. :disappointed_relieved:

btw, whoever i’m playing, i placed my king on the wrong square, so the victory is void.

Clever game.

But I can’t stand playing it.

@mildmanneredjanitor

this is hilarious :smiley:

:smiley: who was it that played me?

Me.

Loved that.

Both made a massive error, you with your queen early on and me sacrificing a couple of power pieces nearer the end.

How’s that a stalemate?

1 Like

brilliant. I kept trying to concede to you at the end (i’m guessing you rejected it and wanted to destroy me good and proper).

for at least a month or two in sixth form chess was super popular, everyone was playing it. one kid was loads better than everyone else, could usually beat everyone else but took me ages to beat the good kid. did it in the end though :crown:

(for the record @bugduv played some very nice moves. A true Alex Ferguson of the chess game if I’m being honest).

i’d expect nothing less

1 Like

Can someone explain this stalemate? I’m probably missing something really obvious.

Nearly a rare win!

1 Like

Enjoyed it. We’ll play again sometime. Both at the same sort of level i’d guess off that.

1 Like

assuming it’s black’s turn, then the black king isn’t in check but can’t move anywhere without putting themselves in check, which they can’t do, so it’s a stalemate. i think.

2 Likes