Childhood teddy

(Yeah, Sweep is much better and my sister not only flushed my/Sooty’s wand but also got to get Sweep when we went to see (presumably the same as you) show)

2 Likes

There’s a thread in this. Will get on to it once I’ve finished dicking about with some beer.

Shortly after that show i used my magic wand on an empty box of Matchmakers at xmas and said “izzy wizzy let’s get busy make there be more chocolates” and i opened the box and there was another layer of chocolates underneath. For years it was too powerful a magic to even discuss with anyone, I just accepted that one xmas something incredible happened and the veil lifted for me, for one night only. I didn’t even try to use magic again, that one act was enough. Then as an adult i thought oh well that did seem magical but it was just the second layer that’s always there, ofc.

BUT THERE IS NO SECOND LAYER IN MATCHMAKERS :scream:

7 Likes

Holy fuck

3 Likes

I wasn’t really the type to give my teddies personalities or anything. In fact I don’t think I named them unless they came with a name or were a character from a film or game. My faves were Harry the seal and a spaniel called Samuel - the latter stayed in my bed well into my teens, was sick on and washed, the works.

1 Like

I went to the sooty set a few years ago when writing about the old granada studios. Will try to find the pics. There was a hole in the wall outside where kids would queue to get in and where someone would pop a crowd-entertaining sooty through to perform whilst they waited.

1 Like

Mine was a Paddington and my brother’s was a Pooh, both made by my mum and passable copies of their more famous namesakes. They acquired outfits to match over the years too. I don’t have any pictures I’m afraid but they’re still waiting for me in the guest bedroom at my folks house when I visit.

2 Likes

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

I have three soft toys left from when I was little, I’m not really that attached to them but I’ve kept them this long so it’s not like I’m going to chuck them.

Rabbit is the star, apparently he was fave when I was small:

I used to like to feed him things, until I pointed out to my mum he didn’t have a mouth, so she hand stitched him a little mouth so he’d be able to eat :smiling_face_with_tear:

Whenever my mum baked something, if there was a little piece left over, like not enough dough to make a full biscuit so it would just be a little weird one, she called it Rabbit’s Biscuit (and I’d be able to eat it).

5 Likes

A complete waste of time. Ludicrous. The beast still couldn’t eat with a hand-stitched mouth. Why did she go through this absurd performance? Lost a lot of respect for her here.

1 Like

I believe there was an episode of the Sewing Bee where they had to stitch a full digestive tract into a teddy bear and they all made a right hash of it.

Or maybe I imagined that.

1 Like

I asked for a Sweep puppet for Christmas one year but it was out of stock so I got given a big purple bird puppet instead.

Loved it too but it left purple hair everywhere so I think my mum slightly regretted the substitution

Here you go @Funkhouser

Feat. My hand as naked Sooty

15 Likes

Imagine how we’d have turned out if we all got the Sweep we wanted.

1 Like

Good album cover imo

11 Likes

I would have, but the wee sassenach bear didn’t come up to the far north of Scotland very often.

Orange Ted was my buddy and an old scrap of bedding called Quilty.

Orange Ted went missing in 1983, never to be seen again, and it took me a long time to get over it.

My all-time guy Yellow Dog, who is a … yellow dog (though really vaguely in the way that toys from the '80s sometimes were, he’s a collection of strange oval-shaped bits vaguely stitched together), is still here - there’s pictures of my with him in hospital when he was bigger than me. He’s been through two changes of nose, his squeaker doesn’t work, and he’s more of a sort of dirty off-white now but he’s the absolute best.

1 Like

This just gets worse the more times you read it.

1 Like

This sounds like a literal fever dream

1 Like