Choruses are for losers and nerds (songs without a noticeable chorus)

It’s Sound And Vision isn’t it? The answer to this question, if it is a question, is always Sound And Vision.

3 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes

All you need is a nagging little riff and forward momentum.

Belle and Sebastian - The Boy With The Arab Strap

1 Like

There are load of folk songs that don’t have choruses Drowned Lovers, Barrack Street, Rufford Park Poachers kind of doesn’t, Jolly Bold Robbers, The Birth Of Robin Hood, Tom Padget, The World Turned Upside Down, Workers’ Song give me time I’ll come up with more.

Oh and Frank Ocean doesn’t like a chorus.

10 Likes

REM - Losing My Religion

2 Likes

I’ve seen this used as an example of a song without a chorus before but I’d argue that the “I thought that I heard you laughing” bit is a chorus

3 Likes

Probably my favourite from Illinois

And some bonus Sleater-Kinney

1 Like

Is it too obvious to say Blue Monday?

4 Likes
3 Likes
1 Like
4 Likes

Pretty sure The Charlatans have never written a chorus. Maybe Can’t Get Out of Bed, but even that changes lyrics each time.

In Every Dream Home :heart:

1 Like

It depends what you mean by ‘chorus’ I suppose. It’s not got a conventional verse-chorus-verse structure but it’s got a repeated refrain (‘don’t you wonder sometimes/about sound and vision’) that appears at the start and the end.

I’ve always thought of that as the chorus but I don’t know whether that is technically right or not.

1 Like

that version on ‘musikladen’ is magnificent (all their performances on that show are tbf), even though there’s a bit where ferry clearly forgets the lyric and garbles something incomprehensible :laughing:

1 Like

But also like every Joanna Newsom song tho

1 Like