Chris Nolan Films

Memento has dated hideously though

I also am not into war films as a general rule but it’s a very impressive cinematic experience if you see it on a big fucking screen and it’s better than standard “war film”

Haven’t seen Dunkirk, but have very much enjoyed all of his other films. The Prestige is my favourite by miles (it’s probably one of my favourite films full stop), but if I had to rank them I’d probably go for:

1. The Prestige
  2. Interstellar
  3. Inception
  4. Batman Begins
  5. Memento
  6. Insomnia
  7. The Dark Knight
  8. Following
  9. The Dark Knight Rises

I remember seeing Memento in the cinema on release and, while it is an amazing piece of cinema, it loses its impact somewhat on repeat viewing obviously…

Yeah, Dunkirk is a really impressive technical achievement, it just feels a little flat. There are two plot contrivances that do take you out of it a little too. The beach stuff which is meant to take place over a week doesn’t really feel that way either.

I’d agree with Ant’s post it’s not really a war movie in the conventional sense, more a depiction of various groups of people doing their best to survive.

More of a beach opera tbh

2 Likes

Best British director right now?

• Chris Nolan
  • Danny Boyle
  • Ken Loach
  • Lynne Ramsay
  • Jonathon Glazer
  • Ben Wheatley
  • Steve McQueen
  • Mike Leigh
  • Some Other Chump

0 voters

:joy:

That’s the only sensible way to approach film really, if you’ve managed to find ten that aren’t thoroughly awful you’ve done well.

2 Likes

That’s a pretty depressing list tbh

So you think his best is Following, then?

Dunkirk is really good and two of his best films (The Dark Knight and Inception) are in the middle of his career. So, not really.

When did Chris Nolan go from being the only director who makes intelligent blockbusters to the one everyone loves to bash? I missed the memo. Given the dross that is usually served up during the summer it’s completely baffling to me that bashing Nolan is suddenly so fashionable.

2 Likes

Inception

1 Like

Dunkirk is 100 minutes.

Yeah it’s Inception/Last Batman sort of period that he lost any appeal.

Everybody always bangs on about ‘intelligent blockbusters’. They’re intelligent when you put them up against Transformers and Pirates of the Caribbean yes.

1 Like

Yup, bang on. Really irritates me when people get all sniffy about him, ok he’s not some arthouse darling and his films aren’t absolute masterpieces or anything but surely someone who makes the amount of money he does at the box office with such comparatively original and clever films should be applauded despite whatever shortcomings. His stuff stands head and shoulders above the rest of the summer blockbuster fodder time and time again.

2 Likes

Exactly…

2 Likes

106 actually m9.

Why would this irritate you, unless he was like in the room physically taking offence.

Probably doesn’t actively irritate me tbh, just a figure of speech.

Just think it seems a bit daft to single him out for criticism given the state of the highest grossing films at the minute