Christchurch shooting (NZ)

Guess rather than explanation. I honestly don’t even recall Pittsburgh - I dunno whether that reflects worse on me, American culture or our society more. Probably a combination of all three.

Correct. There’s a discussion of it under this post:

EDIT: It was the day before, when it happened.

1 Like

feel sick about this and how Islamophobia has taken root for so many people. Somebody was putting up racist stickers two streets away from me a year or two back. People like this are all around

FFS
https://twitter.com/miqdaad/status/1106551122444075008?s=09

Not that I’m agreeing with or excusing what’s in that article, it deserves to be read in the context of it.

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/03/my-grief-for-the-victims-of-the-new-zealand-mosque-attack/

re: the debate upthread, i don’t think it’s possible to overstate the internet’s role in the slightest. I’ve known people who seemed like decent folk until they one day watched a youtube video and it was all downhill from there. The pattern is unmistakable.

I think the really insidious thing about it is the way it pulls together different strands, so that a person who may otherwise have no real beef with immigration (as opposed to someone economically disadvantaged who is manipulated by the media into turning their anger onto minorities) suddenly sees it as part of a wider confluence of complete paranoid nonsense. I remember around the time of the Repeal vote in Ireland there was a sudden, bizarre influx of alt-righters suddenly posting constant pro-life stuff. People who would never previously have mentioned anything to do with the right-to-choose, etc
But once they get the word from on high that this is the latest strand of paranoia that needs to be focused on, off they go.

4 Likes

No time for anything from a publication as out and out racist as the Spectator, frankly.

4 Likes

Fair, though I don’t think it’s any less repulsive in context

1 Like

100% this but I dunno if I’m ready or in the right mindset to think too deeply about this right now.

Just such an awful thing to happen - thoroughly depressing and can’t imagine what it must be like for people who feel less safe living their lives because of this.

there’s been a hammer attack on some muslims outside a london mosque.

What? Source?!

Jfc :frowning:

look man, i don’t want to tie up this thread or upset I_J anymore than they already are. if they feel like i’ve been a dick that’s completely fine. so @moderators if it’s the easiest way to sort this can one of you get rid of everything i’ve posted in the last hour itt?

Think everybody here is posting from a place of compassion and distress to differing levels. I know it’s not a good idea to do this on the wider internet but I tend to take people in good faith on DiS.

Some people will feel the need to try and make sense of this in a wider context and others will feel it’s not the time or place. Let’s try not to be too mad with each other and make people feel worse.

Totally respect those in NZ are closer to the tragedy so their needs are paramount here.

1 Like

I’m not trying to point fingers. I’m saying it’s been raised by someone directly affected so fair enough let’s take that discussion elsewhere

Wow! Way to go Sky NZ!

13 Likes

and @Bamnan/@1101010/@infinite_jest

Removed the subthread as requested.

@anon18868718 - probably wasn’t the time or place, but if you want to discuss elsewhere maybe give it a bit of time and start a new thread that doesn’t appear to be quite so in this specific context, as it seems to be a more general topic spurred by this rather than about Christchurch itself.

@infinite_jest - look after yourself, friends and family. If you see anything else upsetting on here then don’t hesitate to flag it and one of us will take a look asap. x

1 Like

What the fuck happens to these cunts at a young age to make them like they are?

there’s a slippery slope from those new atheist and libertarian channels on YT to the full on alt-right chuds, by way of ben shapiro/jordan peterson types. plus this guy hung out on 4chan and 8chan. he’ll have been around 16, 17 when that first wave of reactionaries were making a splash on youtube.

1 Like