Christmas 2020 Gift Ideas Thread 🌲🎁

It’s time to start thinking about Christmas presents - obviously not going anywhere near any big shops and I’ve heard rumours of supply chain issues nearer christmas. Normally I try to buy people vouchers for things they can do (restaurants, hotels, experiences) but that not really on the cards this year.

Anyone got any creative ideas for parents, siblings and young kids? What have you bought already?

1 Like

I think I’m going to get people one of these - to try to support local businesses - anyone know of similar schemes?

https://keepglasgowthriving.com/products/gift-box

4 Likes

Oh what a super idea

Specifically does anyone have any novel ideas for 6-8 year old boys?

1 Like

There’s a Manchester one but suspect its a bit of a clique as to who gets chosen to be in it

I suspect most of probably them are

Lego. Not novel but they love it and comes in most price ranges.

1 Like

Yeah they’re definitely in a Lego phase. Harry Potter Lego it will be!

I have also given those Goodnight Stories for Rebel Girls books Good Night Stories for Rebel Girls : Elena Favilli, : 9780141986005 : Blackwell's and Stories for Boys Who Dare To Be Different https://www.waterstones.com/book/stories-for-boys-who-dare-to-be-different/ben-brooks/9781787471986

I like buying for presents for kids that age. They seem to be happy with lots of different things. Teenagers are much harder. They don’t tell you what they want and then you give them stuff and they never touch it. I know they really just want a bank transfer but Anyone got any ideas for an 18 year old male maths student who has just started university?

2 Likes

My son is 6 and into gravitrax. Which is quite good as a Lego alternative. May be a little young for an 8 year old

1 Like

I think this sort of thing would really suit the 6 year old who’s really into working out how things fit together. The product info says 8+ though - what do you think?

For the 18 year old - a set of literary classics? You’re right that’s a tough age!

1 Like

My son is 6.5 and fairly bright and comfortable with Lego and he really likes gravitrax. It’s a good challenge and lots you can do with it and extension kits you can buy

1 Like

Good thread, I was just thinking about this!

I’ve ordered these and everyone is getting some homemade sweet chilli jam

4 Likes

Cool I’m going to stick this on the list - think he’ll like it

1 Like

Oooh I’m obsessed with sweet chilli jam - do you have a recipe?

Sweet chilli jam recipe | BBC Good Food just this one, when you make it you feel like some mad scientist

1 Like

He doesn’t read much. Apart from maths books. Or drink much. Doesn’t like beer or coffee.

I’m going to get some literary classics for his sister who’s doing English Lit A level. Good shout, thanks!

1 Like

How about a terrarium for his uni room? Brightens the place up and they hardly need any attention

4 Likes

Interesting! Going to look into that!