Christmas* 🎄 🎅🤶🧑‍🎄🎁 Nostalgia thread

RT if you remember these

Etc

Yeah, I thought we could have a Christmas nostalgia thread.

What was your favourite ever Christmas present?
Or the one you remember more than any other?
Or the one you really wished for & never got?

Any amusing Christmas Day stories of granny farting during the Queen’s Speech (RIP)?

Any pics of wee you & Santa at his grotto in the Arndale?

General chat about Christmases of your youth please

*This denotes an inclusive version of season’s festivites that can include any winter festival holiday chat of any faith or tradition, religious or secular

12 Likes

Grateful is hard when you’re a kid with no filter and you’re taught not to lie though

So many presents are just pointless

2 Likes

Got this bike once, probably the most used present I’ve ever had

5 Likes

Wish people would buy me Lego again. Don’t think any present will ever make me as happy as this did

6 Likes

That’s pretty fucking fly

1 Like

Now wondering what the cyber sonic glove looked like/did. And why it’s glove not gloves.

1 Like

I got one of these one year

You’d wind it up and it would do endless ‘gravity-defying’ laps of its track

Exciting for a grand total 90 seconds. Absolutely pointless present made even more galling by the fact that we were at my older cousins’ place that Christmas and they got the top-of-the-range Silverstone Scalextric

I got this the following year though

And I fucking LOVED it

We ended up with the Scalextric as a hand-me-down about 7 years later

1 Like

I used to love getting one of these each year:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/unloveable/2394921785

24 Likes

2p!

Cadbury must have done about 95% of their yearly business in December in the 1980s

1 Like

Each year?!

4 Likes

6 Likes

Always asked for Gooey Louie. Never got it

Yeah, I definitely got one every Christmas for a couple/few years in the 80s.

1 Like

We asked for one each year too - the previous year’s one was usually emptied and broken by January. Think we must have had five in total.

There was a trick where you could remove the savings bank part and get a chocolate and your 2p back.

We’d then scout the neighbourhood for Cadbury’s Roses tins to try and refill it.

1 Like

Best present was 1997 when me and my sister persuaded my dad to buy us a PlayStation as a joint present, even though it was like double what he would usually spend on us.

Spent Christmas Day running around Lara Croft’s house on Tomb Raider II, trying to trap the butler in the fridge.

2 Likes

This, along with Now 16. 1989 I reckon

9 Likes

I reckon books are the definitive best present really aren’t they? Hard to be annoyed when you open them cos you don’t know if they’re any good yet or not

Realised after starting this thread that I always got books every year and quite a few of them I still have and have read to my own kids - Treasure Island, Secret Garden, Wind in the Willows, Black Beauty and loads and loads of Roald Dahl books

yet at the time I was totally covetous of my cousins’ Transformers & He-Man figures and their remote control A-Team van

2 Likes

I was ecstatic to receive a Cricket doll one year. Look how terrifying it is! It was huge too (in my mind it is about 2 feet tall but I don’t know if I have exaggerated that!). It had a cassette player in its back and would ‘talk’ to you and its mouth moved.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373814159459?hash=item57090f6863:g:12EAAOSwwLdhqkBZ

1 Like

Nightmare fuel

1 Like

One Christmas morning I remember putting a blob of teenage mutant hero turtle slime on the end of one of those hand pumped balloon inflaters and from a distance of about 6ft firing it directly up my snoring fathers nose. Life doesn’t get much better when you’re 8. Fond memories, happier times.

17 Likes