🎄 Official Time Off Over Christmas Thread 🎄

Will go back to the Isle of Wight on the 23rd (or maybe the evening of the 22nd). Will probably take our bikes.

Will return to London on the 28th.

Spent the first 2 weeks of January in Colombia this year - spending January in a warm climate is so very much recommended.

1 Like

fuck that

1 Like

Sounds idyllic! Have to say I did not feel very festive at all last year. There was an 8ft snowman made entirely of cotton wool in the lobby of our hotel in Cuba and it made me sweat just looking at it. Think going in January is the way forward.

Last Feb we were in Sri Lanka. It makes the winter period much more bearable for us as my bf struggles with the winter time closing in and has a general dislike for christmas.

Doing the same again this year and going to Malaysia. I’d highly recommend hot hols in Jan or Feb :heart:

there’s a real beauty to spending that week inbetween in your pants, not leaving the house, eating absolute shite and playing computer games/watching shite tv, or “pulling an @Epimer” as it’s known in the business

2 Likes

I can only really do so much of that anyway before I get cabin fever.

I won’t lie, I felt quite smug working last year- no one on the roads going in making my commute wonderful, then we got to go home early every day and generally didn’t do much actual work. Piece of piss. It meant I could use the days for a time when I actually wanted the day off like when it wasn’t shite weather.

Sometimes I put the bins out to alleviate this.

1 Like

I know what you mean, but

• it’s the shittest weather of the year
  • there are three public holidays around that time (so at the very worst you get seven days out of ten with your family*)
  • working over the Christmas / New Year perineum** is a doddle as nobody is in and the trains are nearly empty.

*checking my privilege here - apologies to those in retail / other sectors
**(c) Charlie Brooker, Screen Burn, c.2001

1 Like

we’ve not even been told what the in between christmas eve and new year situation is at work yet. i’m assuming that i’ll be working christmas eve. the emotional labour involved in a job where you face the customers from the minute you clock in is bad enough, but at christmas everyone expects you to wear a fucking christmas jumper and sing along with them to carols.

in between those days i will keep to a 2 mile radius of my house (we’ve got the biggest house on both sides of the family so most relatives based in the NE come to ours for bucks fizz, cheese and crisps for breakfast).

dunno yet, have just been told i’ve still got 8 days holiday to take, so a few short weeks coming up.
we close through christmas apart from the a few jobs that need to be done.
i always end up in between christmas and NY, cos i get bored.

Last day - 16th Dec
Back to work - 3rd Jan.

Absolutely cannot wait. Having Christmas just me and the wife at ours this year.

I’ve never worked a single day between Christmas and New Year. I love knocking off as soon as possible for the year and having a nice long break before going back to work. Spend it chilling out, seeing mates, eating decent food and drinking lots. It’s great. Not a waste of annual leave in the slightest.

Don’t have any holiday days left to take, haven’t asked about what the office does over Christmas (I’m assuming it closes for a few days?). Not going anywhere so not really bothered at the moment.

Family are all in London so having our own Christmas Day at home then seeing family on Boxing Day. Spending the rest of the week with lots of theatre trips, drinking and eating.

Don’t assume

Doesn’t really matter anyway, I do fuck all most of the time, those days between Christmas and New Year will just be double fuck all with longer lunches.

Off 24th - 27th
In 28th-30th
Off 31st and 1st
Normal service resumed on the 2nd.

Not a bad deal considering I work for a supermarket

Do you get double pay on the 2nd?

#HOW WAS THE WEDDING?