Churchill

What I don’t get is why people are acting shocked about Churchill being bad news. I remember being taught about his part in the Bengal famine and how he was a shit peace-time PM in school like 20 years ago? Maybe I just had a super lefty History teacher? (Thanks, Mr Nicholls!)

5 Likes

this article, as with anything PM related, made me practically seethe with anger, but this is brilliant

Ross smiled as he replied: “The future is ours - goodbye.”

5 Likes

Will never forget jokingly saying how I couldn’t wait to build a communist utopia and my friend who grew up in East Berlin was just totally horrified, going “but it was awful! why would anyone want that!”

I think it’s moved in line with the whole poppy thing every year - any criticism whatsoever of Britain’s activities is like spitting in the face of a war widow or something.

2 Likes

When I’m playing cars with my son I do a voice inspired by Churchill dog for the fire engine, with additional Mortimer ‘spooky clown’ references chucked in. We have a great time.

2 Likes

It’s how wars start again, traumatic memory dies with those who experienced it and the historical ledger of who won or suffered ‘injustice’ in loss remains, and become rallying points for people. Looking forward to martial law in 2020!

I think the news from Japan is that they’ve turned down the opportunity to overturn a law that has existed from 2003.

Finland still does it as well.

(I think this table is still up to date)

My favourite military leader is Pikachu

2 Likes

I think very few people know much about Churchill beyond the years 1935-45, and nothing really beyond the basics of his role in ‘winning the war.’

owain glyndwr for me. basically the irl robb stark, and he was dead sexy so

1 Like

You must’ve gone to a better school than me. Literally my only memory of history lessons are about Franz Ferdinand getting a doing.

4 Likes

ah, good to see they’re covering the post-punk revival in schools now

3 Likes

probably cause of that morning rain clouding them up tbf

4 Likes

Hey you, General Pikachu

1 Like

Is this now the history teacher thread?

My A level history teacher spent half an hour demonstrating a catatonic coma when teaching us about Henry VI. He also got us to act out the battle of the Somme using desks as trenches, and used the dictatorial senior management as an analogy for Stalin, in GCSE. :sparkling_heart:

4 Likes
1 Like

Not even the Oranje Generaal?

5 Likes

Especially him

5 Likes

Got your WV-HEDW outfit sorted out early this year

Get so tired of going over the same old ground with him, ‘fascinating’ character as he no doubt was. Was right about basically one thing in his entire life, and that’s all the Western world remembers him for. And wasn’t even good at war. ‘Soft underbelly of the Axis’, yeah that worked great in WW1 too you stupid prick.