Chvrches

I adored the first CHVRCHES album and half of the second one, but these new ones just aren’t doing much for me so far. Like, ‘My Enemy’ actually has a pretty nice hazy downtempo thing going on but structurally it sounds so lazy and half-formed (ffs they used to throw about six massive hooks into one song, this song’s barely got one), and the absurdity of hearing Matt Berninger sing CHVRCHES lyrics kind of brings home how bad some of them are these days.

I love both albums, but so far I do think both new songs are no better than ‘quite good’ for me.

Wouldn’t begrudge them a seat at the big table of pop to be fair. Saw them last year at the Hydro and they are definitely well-suited to those sort of arena gigs.

Chvrches were attracted by the mainstream side of pop. It seems that their new album will be their worst.

1 Like

After listening to Love Is Dead for over 10 times so far I can say that it’s a good album. Sure, it’s poppier than before, the lyrics are repetitive and the production is not as great as before but it’s still enjoyable. I think it’s on par with Every Open Eye but no better than their debut.

Shameless bump in here, please forgive me mods…

New single - CHVRCHES - He Said She Said (Audio) - YouTube

Seems…ok. A little paint by numbers. Anyone still a fan?

nvo.

2 Likes

I just googled “nvo” thinking it was some urban dictionary thing. Hope you’re pleased with yourself.

2 Likes

It’s better than Get Out was as a lead single - sadly, that’s about as much praise as I can give it. I’m sure there will be a few great tunes on the new record but I’ll be surprised if it’s anywhere as good as the debut or Every Open Eye.

1 Like

That tune they did for death stranding was decent. I’ll hold out hope for a few good 'uns.

1 Like

OFFFT this bangs

4 Likes

Album is so much better than Love Is Dead

1 Like

I grew to like Love Is Dead once I started aggressively skipping My Enemy and Miracle. Could easily nix Never Say Die as well, make it a much punchier 10 track album.

New one’s coming in the mail tomorrow; looking forward to it, singles have been good (especially the one with Robert Smith, which is nice after the crashing boredom of the hopelessly out of place Berninger duet)!

1 Like

God those songs really did ruin that album. Maybe I should go back and just delete them, but I remember it as an album with two good songs possibly just because of the sequencing

The Robert smith track is a highlight but the overall quality is far higher imo

1 Like

Im glad they’ve finally developed their sound by making it more textured (although there is room to develop - I feel the vocals really need to add at least a different flavour as it feels like Lauren has been singing the same song for 4 albums now… as good as her voice is I would like I bit of variety) - this is really what the should’ve been aiming for with their 2nd record - much better than Love is Dead. Far more textured and satisfying production

1 Like

It’s definitely stronger than their last one. Possibly better than their last two. There’s more breathing space on here for the live instruments and the songs are stronger. Still think it could have done with a little more diversity but when it’s good, it’s really quite good.

1 Like

The bass on Final Girl in particular is really strong. Yer man loves to whip out the ol’ 4-string