Cigarettes After Sex

Must say I’m really enjoying this. It’s just lovely, if a bit one note. Reminds me in tone of the first XX album - and really shines a light on how charmless their new, expanded sound is.

How? What in your opinion is album of the year so far?

Any of the following:

Slowdive
Kendrick Lamar
Fleet Foxes
Mount Eerie
Arca
Blanck Mass
Max Richter

The only two that I like on that list are Slowdive and Blanck Mass. cigarettes after sex is better than those. I would add Clark to that list too.

Listened to this yesterday. Considering I’m a fan of Beach House (who they have distinctly copied, sound wise), I just found this boring. Might be a grower, but I’m not not getting the love ATM.

1 Like

Well, it’s all subjective, but CAS have made a solid dream pop album, which is neither one of the best examples of a genre (Slowdive, Fleet Foxes), an outstanding lyrical record (Mount eerie, Kendrick) or an original sound that is largely unique (Blanck Mass, Arca).

Sounds like Radio Dept on mogadon to me. Not that this is a bad thing.

1 Like

their best song yet i think

Such a shit band name. I downloaded it to give it a skim listen and expected to hate it.

Turns out to be a lovely record. I really liked Pixx and Big Thief this month. Cigarettes After Sex is probably the best I’ve heard this month.

This is that rare thing - a rave review that really puts you off a record. Those lyrics!

lyrics/writings about sex almost always look bad written down free from their context IMO. it’s why there’s a
‘bad sex award’ but never an award for ‘best sex writing of the year’ or same.

Just remembered who they really remind me of; Mono in VCF

Not all the lyrics are bad by any stretch of the imagination, but it’s hard not to notice that Gonzalez has a habit of writing about sex in a manner that somehow suggests he only saw a lady naked for the first time last week and is still reeling from the experience.

:smiley:

4 Likes

Doesn’t the band name suggest someone desperate to let you know both that he has had sex with a real actual girl and smoked a real actual cigarette?

5 Likes

was that at the thekla?
was at that & was also surprised by how popular they were

whilst I had previously like their recorded stuff I was getting rather bored at the gig & the highlight was the reo speedwagon cover (!)
have not listened to them since the gig

Yes, that was the gig. I do still like them, but maybe not so much.

I’d expected it to be half empty

Bit late to the party; but having just discovered this album, I’m loving it.

Court of Arbitration for Sport is a much better band name

1 Like

What’s the consensus for DiS? Do we like them? We hate them, right?

Anyway, I think that album’s great. Anyone also seeing them at The Roundhouse tonight or seen them elsewhere recently?