cinematographers?

tell me who the good cinematographers are, please

also please share images, scenes

inspired by Jim Jarmusch sharing an Insta account for Robby Muller, who worked with him + Wim Wenders most notably, so like… ‘Paris, Texas’, ‘Down By Law’

downbylaw1

1 Like

Phedon Papamichael

3 Likes

got here in time to say roger deakins eh

8 Likes

Adam Stone:

Robert Elswit:

Watched Barry Lyndon for the first time last night:

Ruben Impens:

James Laxton:

Ari Wegner:

Roger Deakins (obvs):

Hong Kyung-Pyo:

8 Likes
1 Like

Less easy to pick stills but Bill Pope is criminally underrated as a cinematographer. I guess the ability to stylishly capture action and kineticism is less overtly “beautiful” but his work rules:

3 Likes

Drew Daniels is “one to watch”

3 Likes

Inside Llewyn Davis was shot (excellently) by Bruno Delbonnel. Agreed that Deakins is great though.

4 Likes

Another obvious nod for Deakins:

From back in the day, Freddie Young :+1:

2 Likes

Doh, just knew he was the Coens usual go-to ans assumed!

I can’t post any images right now but another one at Deakins level is Emmanuel Lubezki:

Children of Men
The Revenant
Gravity

Just pick a still from one and it will look amazing.

3 Likes

The train robbery scene gives me serious goosebumps, along with the music it’s probably in my top 10 scenes of all time (not sure if this is a thing)

1 Like

A couple that haven’t been mentioned yet, I’m not sure these images will capture the full quality of the cinematography without seeing the shots in motion but hopefully enough to spark interest:-

Alfonso Cuarón - Roma
One of my personal faves for cinematography in recent years, along with the already mentioned Moonlight.

Jarin Blaschke - The Lighthouse
Let alone its an excellent film and an unbelivable cinema experience, just reading the effort made for the cinematography for this film is fascinating.
thelighthouse

Nick Cooke - Limbo
Its his early days but I’m really enjoying his visual style and framing of shots in both Limbo and Pikadero, looking forward to see how he develops, so one to watch in my opinion.

1 Like

Not to mention Tree of Life and Cat in the Hat

Talking of Popes… Dick Pope too is underappreciated, let alone for his work with Mike Leigh but also for the forgotten gem that is The Way of the Gun.

Don’t know their other work but Lukasz Zal and Ryszard Lenczewski did Ida and it’s one of the best shot things I’ve seen

5 Likes

Came to post these. Lukasz has done a few more great things.

Boris Kaufman for 12 Angry Men and On The Waterfront.

Benoît Debie for his work with Noe.

Claire Mathon is becoming must watch now!

2 Likes

Ohh fun thread, happily add a few current favourites (some duplicates but hey ho)…

Claire Mathon (Portrait of a Lady on Fire, Spencer, Atlantics)

Sayombhu Mukdeeprom (Arabian Nights, Uncle Boonmee, Call me By Your Name, Memoria, Syndromes and a Century)

Hélène Louvart (Happy As Lazzaro, Invisible Life, Rocks, Never Rarely Sometimes Always)

Yorick Le Saux (Little Women, High Life, Personal Shopper)

Łukasz Żal (Cold War, Thinking of Ending Things, Ida, The Zone of Interest (eek!))

Robbie Ryan (The Favourite, American Honey, C’mon C’mon, Wuthering Heights)

3 Likes