Classic 60's films

I watched The Spy Who Came in from the Cold last night. The first hour particularly with Burton’s character playing at being off the rails is incredible cinema.

Firstly, have you seen it? If so, what did you think?

Secondly, what are your favourite 1960s films? Particularly interested in British films of the period (but i’ve done the kitchen sink dramas to death).

Thirdly, how shit were trailers then? They were basically the entire film. Look at this, ffs - https://youtu.be/dxfpXoXBYRA

yep, love it. great burton performance tbh and can’t really think of much else like it.

Blow Up, all the Kubricks, Peeping Tom. Aside from British stuff it was a great decade for Euro art cinema, take your pick of Fellini, Antonioni, Bergman - pretty much all at the top of their game.

I watched Spy Who Came In From the Cold recently-ish - last year I think - it’s good.

don’t about best but I enjoyed If…, Performance, The Innocents, Hammer films (These are the Damned, Quatermass and the Pit, The Devil Rides Out), the Ipcress File

it was a pretty good decade for genre films and trash as well as art in a lot of places

Cant think of any

This is a really good film

The Graduate is pretty decent
Jungle Book for the kids

Is a ‘Lucky Jim’ 60s?

Ealing comedy Two Way Stretch

my fave British 60s film

my fave US 60s film

my fave euro 60s film (ok so it was released 1970 but shot in the 60s)

I first watched the IPCRESS File whilst stoned infront of a log fire in a hut in the middle of the forest in Poland. Probably the most comfortable i’ve been as an adult, but remember the brainwashing scenes ruining my vibe a bit.

should also throw in this absolute masterpiece of intensity

and this raw emotional ride with a Quincy Jones harlem jazz soundtrack

This is very entertaining but also very problematic.

Love ‘…if’, like someone else mentioned. Might still be on netflix?

Also, this is 1972, but it has a very late 60s feel and it’s INCREDIBLE:

My favourite 60s british film would be Peeping Tom. Other than that, I’ve rated Rosemary’s Baby (possibly tied with Big Lebowski for favourite ever film), Psycho, The Producers, The Odd Couple, Night of the Living Dead, In the Heat of the Night, La Jetee and Legend of a Duel to the Death as five star films.

I would highly recommend Legend of a Duel to the Death to anyone with an interest in Japanese cinema, I’d never heard of it before I watched it but it blew me away.

Honourable mention goes to

yeah, the whole brainwashing stuff is a bit of a twister when in a purple haze

Any of the Sergio leone films made in the 60s.

I watched a film on the BBC late one night. It was a British sci-fi film, guessing from the 60s, but maybe slightly before or after. It was about an old couple who make some sort of brainswap machine, they then coerce a younger man back to their house to put the plan to action…but the i fell asleep. It might have been called Doctor something. Been doing my head in. Anyone?

Some good Italian ones:

The Swimmer

Cool Hand Luke

Was about to say this one.

From turning my head to look at my DVD shelf, I’ll offer up Breakfast At Tiffany’s, My Fair Lady, Batman The Movie, Mary Poppins, 101 Dalmatians, Kes, and Kurosawa’s Yojimbo. All great lads.