Classic Soul/Funk/Motown thread

Now Betty Davis? Ah fuck :pensive: RIP

This is shite. I read Stuart Cosgrove’s book about his experiences in the Northern Soul scene a few years back and Betty Davis turning up at Wigan sounded like the peak of it all. Within a few pages, it became one of those things I wished I was able to witness. That first album of hers is brilliant.

Lost Bobby Caldwell last week. Hell of a voice. Love the story about his label keeping it a secret he was white until he went on tour. RIP.

I’m a couple of weeks behind on this, but the Northern Soul night at this year’s Proms is wonderful stuff. What a way to perk up a Monday morning.

(skip to about 8mins in if you want to avoid the chat and introductions at the start)

2 Likes

Is Stuart Maconie doing a number there?

Ha, no, just introducing the night at the beginning.

Honestly, the whole thing is wonderful, but in particular the version of Frankie Valli’s ‘The Night’ is right up there. The fist bump at the end with the conductor is well earned.

1 Like

Yeah heard this when it was on on the radio. It’s so fucking good. There’s a bit of a Northern Soul revival going on atm with several anniversaries and that, it’s all over my TikTok feed.

Frankie really is so so good. This is genius.

1 Like

Anyone else been listening to the new Jalen Ngonda album on Daptone Records?

Sure, it’s very retro, but his voice and the arrangements are beautiful to listen to.

1 Like

Looks like it was a real party down on the floor of the RAH.

It’s great, yeah. Like you say, it could be seen as pastiche almost but the songs are too damn good

I echo all this love, that proms Northern Soul show was truly joyous, everyone did such a great job of bringing the songs to life, loads of oomph

I adore this pair and didn’t know either beforehand

all about them whoo’s

1 Like

Listen to the keys on this one.