Classical music

classical

Been meaning to start this thread for awhile - my apologies if something like this already exists, but I couldn’t find it

I am an absolute novice when it comes to classical music - but I’m finding i’m more and more drawn to it, especially for work and reading and just relaxing

I know OF a number of composers but not really a lot about their work - the big folks like Mozart, Beethoven, Vivaldi etc I am enjoying

Bach’s cello stuff has been a personal favourite; I am listening to Schubert’s ‘Trout Quintet’ right at this very minute and enjoying it immensely

I am looking for recommendations - I especially like, for want of a better description, ‘gentle’ ‘floating’ stuff not too jarring. I’ve been focussing on the old dudes, but would like to get acquainted with more modern stuff.

Is it still a big ole sausage party now?? Where the ladies at??

Anyway, complete classical noob - hoping there is help here!

On the more modern front, not specifically ‘classical’ but I really like this guy

You should listen to some of Schubert’s Impromptu studies. This is my favourite (played by the master):

And obviously Clare de Lune is an absolute classic:

Allegri’s Miserere is one of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written:

and the Lacrimosa from Mozart’s Requiem is amazingly dramatic:

If you want a bit more drama I’d try some Rachmaninov, Liszt, Chopin, Berlioz, Bizet. The Rach 3 (3rd Piano Concerto) is the one made big by the film Shine, and is incredible, especially if you like a bit of piano how-the-fuck-is-he-playing-that.

These are some of my favourites:

I’m lost in a world of YouTube now. I forgot La Campanella. Had to learn this for A level music.

If you’re looking for more info on women composers throughout history, the BBC has a handy starters guide with excerpts from pieces, archived programmes, and interviews: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02kn2t6

In terms of modern music by women, I’d recommend trawling Spotify or Youtube for any of Judith Weir, Thea Musgrave, Errollyn Wallen, Tansy Davies, Elisabeth Lutyens, Charlotte Bray, Hannah Kendall - who all feature on the BBC page above.

Classical music more widely - highly recommend Alex Ross’ The Rest Is Noise book. It focuses mostly on 20th century music although it puts a lot of this in context. For a broader overview of classical music that’s simple to read and contains a daily listening suggestion, my girlfriend has been enjoying working her way through A Year of Wonder by Clemency Burton-Hill .

Thread delivers! Thanks heaps for all of this

I recently listened to Debussy and really liked it. And yes definitely want investigate more in female composers - well ANY would be a start for me at the moment!

Thank you both

Big fan of Johann Strauss 2 and waltz music in general. I’ve always felt that waltz music is as poppy as classical music gets.

I’ve only just recently got into Steve Reich though - so really enjoying this series of discoveries.

here’s a good way to get into a modern composer through old music - Max Richter’s Vivaldi Recomposed:

saw this live at the Barbican and I still get goosebumps listening to it now

I very much like this!