Classics / Canon edition of the DiS Hip-Hop Listening Club

that fictional rapper gory al gore could’ve gone in on these beats.
time mobb deep came to oxford, I went Cardiff for super furry animals for umpteenth time, instead.
big animal instinct vibe on this one, babyfather meditation…
Babyfather - "Meditation" (Prod. by Dean Blunt & Arca) - YouTube

https://medium.com/micro-chop/havoc-sampled-a-stove-turning-on-for-the-shook-ones-pt-7a6ab2fd38f8

4 Likes

Nice. I like that Gino Sorcinelli guy. Got the playlist on now.

1 Like

Didn’t realise he did stuff for Kanye West.

Make way…for fully-auto gun spray
You’re small prey, I’ll easily bait and trap game
This man is half mad scientist-half sane
Create a rhyme labyrinth like poisonous cannabis
Here, take a toke of this deadly rare vocalist
Overpower y’all, tiny noise like locusts
Like sunlight thru a magnifying glass I’ll focus and burn
A hole straight thru ya brain and leave ya open (Oh shit!)
And let the venom soak in
You start sweatin’ and goin’ thru convulsions from dope shit I writ

such a great vocal flip. probably havocs most wu sounding joint.

Music peaked at Prodigy’s first verse on Hell On Earth

1 Like

yeah, i love this record but it’s not been on a midsummer tip for me

1 Like

that’s what the TI record was for.

1 Like

still bumping it

1 Like

got a radio edit of top back and been playing it daily for my kids to bounce to

Got a new rap t-shirt

1 Like

On this particular revisit, More Trife Life is really standing out. Havoc holds his own, and love that weird creaking door sample.

UGK - Ridin’ Dirty

download%20(1)

3 Likes

Possibly my favourite track on it :+1: (although competition pretty tough)

Ooof!

Aight, @theShipment asked me to step in for this one.

No fucking around here. Wanted to pick a top 10 all time album for this thread, and one that was widely considered a classic too. Ridin’ Dirty, while thoroughly well known, is probably the best ratio of classic album to over-eulogising you’ll get. So let’s bask in its glory in the sunshine.

Posting this from the gym so will add more later :wink:

2 Likes

I like UGK. One of the southern acts that I think a lot of people with mostly east-coast tastes got into. I remember them making very little noise over here at first. Me and my mates were obsessed with Menace II Society and they were on the soundtrack to that, but this dropping in 96 amongst SO many other strong albums meant it just passed me by. Also reading just now that it had no videos or singles which I guess meant no Westwood or The Box. I don’t think it was until the Jay-Z record and my first forays into hip hop message boards and Napster that I went back and checked out their other stuff. Funny how 1996 - 2000 seems like worlds apart.

Got this lined up for the tube tomorrow. First listen in years. :+1:

1 Like

Now this is all slightly before my time, as Big Pimping was blowing up right as I was getting into hip hop, so they were always a thing for me… But I think you’d be forgiven for having no idea who UGK were in 1999 unless you lived in the South. Can’t think of any other really big features they’d had at the time. And this was still the time where something could still be massive and yet contained almsot entirely in its region. 70,000 copies in its first week and #15 on the US chart according to wiki! That’s no slouch at all. Apparently Pimp C was reluctant to do Big Pimping because it was so far away from the sound they’d carved out, but ultimately it opened them up to a whole new audience

2 Likes