Classics / Canon edition of the DiS Hip-Hop Listening Club

agreed, never heard this before but I love it

1 Like

Ah glad youā€™re enjoying it! As nice as it is for the old fans to revisit, this thread was also made with the hope that some of us would be introduced to a new favourite so Iā€™m chuffed if thereā€™s some new UGK fans :smiley:

Super Tight is very much in a similar vein and to be honest, it changes from day to day which album I prefer between that and Ridinā€™ Dirty.

Underground Kingz is just a tad too long to recommend as the next step but once youā€™re already an established fan, itā€™s one of raps best double albumsā€¦ and of course it has :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Had The Listening on a couple of times. Love this record and between this, The Minstrel Show and Foreign Exchangeā€™s Connected these guys can be pretty proud about what they achieved. All low key classics for me. Phonte is a decent rapper and his singing ability sets him out from the boom bap crowd a bit. Bits of his latest album hint towards directions where he could still be relevant in the rap landscape today. Rapper Big Pooh wouldnā€™t have a career without 9th but heā€™s pleasant to listen to.

As everyone says, the production is the major selling point. Like a warm bath the whole way through, or like the memories of a sunny afternoon chilling with a bunch of mates digging through a crate of old soul records. Love the way he chops, clips and layers his samples. Seems heā€™s had some renewed interest in his production with credits like those on DAMN. and Malibu. Letā€™s hope he continues to work with some more interesting new voices than make another album with Murs (as good as the first one is, no one needed half a dozen of them).

Over time Iā€™ve come to prefer The Minstrel Show. For me it just has a bit more character, playfulness and pop sensibility. But yah both records are lovely.

1 Like

Also from 2003 and will resonate well with Little Brother fans :wink:

1 Like

More related listening

1 Like

The lack of an uncensored version of it on Spotify has prevented me from going back to it properly. Itā€™s irksome.

1 Like

Think this album really hits a comfortable stride in the middle section.

1 Like

iā€™ve got an extra room for you if you want to come out to the states strictly to listen to this album uncensored.

1 Like

absolutely super tight

1 Like

Ridinā€™ Dirty is a big classic, very happy to see it get a nod.

Never listened to The Listening before, got the two albums that followed both of which I like but donā€™t love. Going to give this a fair hearing this week and report back

Sorry team I was gonna post the pick yesterday but some stuff went down at work. I will post the next pick next wednesday and give everyone an extra week to catch up.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/ginosorcinelli/status/1020911767801815041

2 Likes

Got em saved. Huge fan.

Ice Cube ā€“ Death Certificate

14020-death-certificate
this pick is courtesy of @FKA_Adam_Jeffson

2 Likes

Spotify only has the 25th anniversary re-issue which I think adds a few songs to the beginning. So check here for the original track-listing and such.

Top drawer classic, havenā€™t listen in full for ages. Nice one! Downloaded for commuting tomorrow

and you can new jack swiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing on my nuts.

cube really came out swinging on wrong n**a to f wit. massive beat drop and opening verse. gotta be in the running for best hype songs of all time. that beat switch up around 2/3 through is nuts.

i needed this today.

AmeriKKKaā€™s Most Wanted, Death Certificate and The Predator was such a good run of albums. This seems to be the one I go back to least out of the three for some reason. In retrospect, itā€™s probably because the other two had more of an east coast sound with Bomb Squad and Muggs so they were the ones I really played to death as a lad.

No Black Korea or No Vaseline on the UK releases, so everyone had dubs of the import version. Good times.

im gonna have to add lethal Injection in there. i know itā€™s a step down but it still goes.