Classics / Canon edition of the DiS Hip-Hop Listening Club

I had Ebonics pop up on a playlist the other day. What a track that could have been with a better producer on the beat.

Premo agreed

No account needed… is your flash player up to date? The download link should launch a pop-up browser with a working download link in? Just tried and works here.

If you still have no joy after checking your browse i’ll upload a mediafire for ya!

Thanks so much :pray:t2: I’ll try tomorrow and let you know

big picture has a few real gems on

think this match of production and verse is all time classic for me. the first time i ever heard this when I was 14/15 I think I listened to it 50 times in a row

Missy Misdemeanor Elliott- Supa Dupa Fly

great cover I think. literally laidback, but boss too- looking down her nose.
not sure whether this would be classified as southern hip hop, or more universal. there’s a grasshopper-y sound used a fair bit on the album that makes me think of somewhere hot and rural, anyway. nice sultry one for the summer. don’t tend to hear timbaland and the neptunes labelled southern, maybe they’re too futuristic/ pop or because they came after the first wave, I don’t know.
don’t think I said at the time but nav’s pick by queen Latifah made me think all that talk about Kanye 808’s and drake being pioneers of singsong rapping was bullshit, these women just got ignored/ forgotten in that talk.
so maybe this album isn’t hip hop enough for the thread. don’t know why stuff that is on the boundaries appeals to me- was thinking about how dance-y a lot of the tommy wright 3rd pick was. here, ‘beep me 911’ sounds like a pitched down blueprint for so much of the incredible night slugs catalogue, well over a decade later.
a load of stuff here ain’t hip hop, but still great- the zapp do quiet storm ‘friendly skies’ is a highlight.
chatting too much about the timbaland sounds here. I love missy’s scatting vocals. that delay after “who’s got the keys to the jeep”… then that… “vroom” on ‘the rain’ cracks me up every time. she goes off on ‘don’t be commin’ (in my face)’; deep cut.

duh, I meant crickets, not grasshoppers.
if you’ve not seen- the video to ‘the rain’ is cool. the stop-motion type dancing movements fits well with timbo’s jerky beats. bad decision in my opinion to change the music on the ‘hit em wit da hee’ video. the amazing brittle funk is gone. ‘the rain’, anyway…

I’ve actually spent way more time with Miss E …So Addictive and Under Construction, just because of when they came out. Nowadays I normally just dip in for select cuts. So, happy to visit Super Dupa Fly again. Had a bit of a Timbo binge a couple of weeks ago so I’m in the zone

Will DL this evening and listen to tomorrow and over the weekend

bumping this to remind myself to listen to this over the weekend! great pick. not listened to this in full ever

tend to rather unfairly think of missy as more of a singles artist so kinda forget how good her albums are. front loaded obvs, but still, really fun album. timbo and missy are just a fucking winning combination aren’t they. bite our style would be someone else’s best work but they can afford to throw it away as a 40 second interlude because fuck it, they’ve got loads more where that came from.

not downloaded the big l tape yet as my internet basically died on me last week, will get on it now. cool pick though, probably wouldn’t ever have thought to listen to any of his odds and sods if left to my own devices

Threads kinda dying a death. But I realised that it was Wednesday, and this came up on Spotify, so thought I’d post it.

Black Moon - Enta Da Stage

Nice, dusty, sample-heavy production by the Beatminerz, slightly knuckleheaded but funny raps, Havoc and Smif-n-Wessun guestspots and a whole aesthetic that I just really loved at the time. Who Got Da Props was just a huge anthem. “Baggy black jeans, knapsack and my beeper”.

Interestingly a lot of the albums was put together with stuff sampled from cassette rather than vinyl which just gives it that lovely layer of grime.

Aye, love Black Moon. My first real phase of hip-hop was Wu-Tang and all the solo records, Redman, Erick Sermon, Def Squad. Once I’d fully exhausted that someone put me onto Boot Camp Clik, Black Moon, Smif-n-Wessun, Heltah Skeltah… very formative record for me this one.

Ack Like U Want It is one of my all-time favourite rap songs, surprised it’s not more of an anthem. Love the production particularly on Enta Da Stage, Black Smif-n-Wessun, Shit Iz Real, N’z Talk Shit… the bassline on the latter had me hypnotised as a youth, it’s still slightly hard to fully get round the melody of it, it’s such a long loop and it kind of floats around in the background of the song.

Remember seeing the Gotcha Opin video on MTV which was actually a remix and being bamboozled by just how mad, expansive and hard to pin down the rap universe was (as in, because they were promoting an album with a song that wasn’t actually on it)

imo possibly the greatest combo of remix and original, they’re both huge and great pieces of production

Ack Like U Want It is also one of my favourites, but it’s funny - that track wasn’t on the original cassette release of the album. Or the vinyl come of think of it. So it wasn’t until maybe 2000 when I was re-purchasing a lot of old albums on CD that I discovered it. So probably the reason it never really became a big one in clubs and whatnot. Should definitely have made the cut over a track like Son Get Wrec.

I recently bought this, making Enta Da Stage the only album I’ve bought 4 times.

Googling that remixes tape in approximately 0.5 seconds

It’s basically just that Diggin’ In Dah Vaults compilation but on a cassette. Really good compilation if you haven’t heard it. It’s got one of my favourite Black Moon “deep cuts” on it - Six Feet Deep.

Finally got round to giving this a few proper listens, and am very glad to have done so. Like others above, I own a copy of Miss E… So Addictive and Under Construction, both of which I find to be a collection of standout tracks weighed down by tons of filler rather than great albums. But I’d never given this more than a cursory listen.

It’s really great. Definitely feels the most cohesive of her releases to my ears, and is just back to front superb tracks. Don’t think I can add any evaluation of any substance to what’s been said above by Jamos et al, but just wanted to say that I’m loving this and thanks for suggesting!

I’m back from the dead. Job is intact for now.

Loved listening to the Missy album. I’ve bounced around her discography for years and can never really settle on a favorite album, this one generally sits around 3rd place. There was a time when I hated it. Love that she can pull off r&b tracks (her and ginuwine should’ve made an album together whilst timbaland was in his prime). Izzy Izzy Ahh my fav on here. Impossible to hear those Sock it 2 Me horns and not immediately jump out of my seat chanting WHO RUN IT. Classic cover design too, (slide nod to the Concious Daughters ‘Ear to the Street’ cover?)

Glad to hear you’re ok! What’s the sitch with the listening club? Is there already something lined up?

:slightly_smiling_face:

Go for it! I’ll get back to running it next week.