Classics / Canon edition of the DiS Hip-Hop Listening Club

always been fascinated by early cash money but never really gone further than early Wayne. no time like the present to correct that eh

Same really. Not even Wayne though. I lumped these guys in with No Limit as the people with weird ads in the back of The Source. Just never really got along with it for reasons we’ve chatted about here before. I did like ‘Ha’ though, and records like that were clearly an influence on stuff I do like, like the early wave of grime, so giving this another go.

Still maintain that if you missed this stuff in ‘da club’ or in a car with a heavyweight sound system then it won’t resonate the same way. Remember hearing tracks like ‘Ha’ at an especially moody Westwood thing in Hammersmith Palais and it made more sense.

Weird that the version on Spotify is censored. I was surprised to see that I still had a ripped version in iTunes.

It’s cool that people haven’t heard this. Interested to see what you think.

Yeah it’s super annoying. Back That Azz Up doesn’t really lending itself to a clean version right? Shold be easy enough for people to download or there’s dirty versions of most of the tunes on youtube.

LOL. I guess that’s cos they both had Pen & Pixel doing the artwork right? Can’t think of many other artwork designers who’ve had such a lasting impact on rap icongraphy.

even the explicit version is weirdly censored in parts (e.g. the chorus of gone ride with me). also it’s too long and, as great as ha is, I don’t really need three different versions of it… BUT the slaps are undeniable aren’t they. obvs the two big singles are monsters but rich ns, follow me now, juvenile on fire, and the title track are all great too

solja rags is also v worth a listen if you like this. guerilla warfare too

that one jumped out at me. guess it’s lord digga at the start- reckon I could’ve believed that is Eminem from 4 'til 9 seconds in!

Love this album, not heard in a while. Great write up!

Gonna give it a few spins over the weekend and get back to ya :slight_smile:

maybe because of this- I’m not working with anything good, it’s not really doing it for me.
hopefully i’m not a total idiot though, because

did stand out

On the Hammersmith Apollo sound system, the beats sounded rich and lush. The bass makes you feel like you’re going to soil yourself. A packed out crowd rapping along just sounds amazing.

But on headphones, or my shit car stereo, Mannie Fresh’s beats leave me cold. Just sound a bit tinny and I can’t get into them. I’d really like to group my Sonos and blast the shit at full blast right this minute, but I’m 41, my kids is in bed, and my wife is watching Top of the Pops so I can’t.

Havent had a chance to chip in yet and this is a holiday week out here so I’m going to let this one sit for another week and we’ll resume next week.

happy thanksgiving shippers!

Breezly Brewin popped up on that Blockhead album which made me dust this off for a listen next week. Thought I’d drop it in here. I listened to it for a brief but intense period many years back but not revisited in years, so thought I’d drop it in here!

Discovered MC Mack thru Noz’s RBMA show and those dusty vibes had me recalling a lot of the DiS listening club picks so thought I’d post it in here

also listened to the Best Duo Ever: Greentape from Main Attrakionz which is weirldy completely absent from the internet in any official form and thought about how keen I’d be to make it a future pick

We finna get this started again?

was listening to Dare Iz a Darkside last night thinking a similar thing

how have i never seen this

why is the crowd half dead wtffffff

Sorry mates, had to disappear for a bit and been a little hit n miss on here.

Alright so Juvenile… so when this was taking off I was firmly entrenched in the No Limit Records sound. I felt everything that Cash Money Records was trying to do was a total ripoff, from the art to the production to the rapping style. So i didnt jump on the train for anything CM related until… back that azz up. Lil Wayne was just a punchline of a joke to me back then (i still lol at his part in back that azz up) but Juve knew how to make a hit and the Mannie Fresh beats started to really set their hooks in w me. Ha was always a weird track to me and took me a long time appreciate, it was some space age sound i wasnt sure what to do w. whole album kinda fits that for me, took years to really like it, but the big single was my way in. listening back through a handful of times since this was posted and the middle section follow me now through back tha azz up is all stellar. loved revisiting this album tbf. also got me to listen to his whole discography. lots of great stuff throughout but i still have reality check as my fav juve album.

So yeah let’s talk about this album for the next couple of days and I’ll put up a new rec on Wednesday and we can get the ball really rollin again.

Prince Paul – A Prince Among Thieves

Do we want to do a 2019 thread? A list of albums covered this year and a new drive for fresh blood?

yah good idear. ill start it on wednesday.

this was the first movie-esque hip hop album i ever heard. where it felt larger than it really was. i think pain is one of the most beautiful hiphop beats on earth. i love sha on that track but deep down i wish it was scarface, it just feels like a scarface song to me. breeze brewin on this album is a star, and i thought he would be a star, he did not become a star… havent really read much on him and the path he went on but id be interested to know why he kinda just floated off after the classic juggaknotz album and then this one.

it’s really sad the movie never got made cos i could watch 80 minutes of this no problem