Climate Crisis

I still remember my first day in a proper career job, when I joined the Met Office over two decades ago. Part of the induction was a trip to the Hadley Centre where one of the modellers showed us one of their models. He pressed a button and the global projection gradually went uniformly red, probably some time around now. His comment was “yeah we probably need to tweak this one a bit.”

1 Like

Righto then @colinfilth, you must have a view on this (from a professional perspective)?

We aren’t vegetarian, but started buying things like Quorn to use if we’re making something like a moussaka. It reminds me of alcohol free beer a bit - if you tried them back in the day they were pretty awful and you just assume it’s not moved on at all, but they’ve really improved.

The best meat substitutes I’ve had have mostly been in restaurants rather than stuff we have at home.

1 Like

pal made me this t’other day, imitation pulled pork s’wich made from “jackfruit”, honestly delicious, couldn’t tell the diff:

The only problem with jackfruit is getting hold of it (or at least it is around here, if someone wants to let me know any super-awesome hacks for getting the jackfruit I’m all ears)

1 Like

Nothing to touch yours. I left the UKMO after three years and I did mainly aviation meteorology. My enduring gift to the meteorological world was an automatic volcanic eruption detector, based on satellite imagery. It had the job of monitoring the one volcano that might erupt in the UK’s area of responsibility (in Iceland). The volcano erupted after I left. My program didn’t work, because I hadn’t factored in the effects of wind.

My overall philosophy on climate change is led mainly by the precautionary principle and also a belief that human beings striving to make the least impact possible on the planet is an intellectually valuable endeavour in its own right.

I was musing on that earlier when considering the suggestion (I think it was Hawking) that mankind will only survive if it colonises space. For that to happen science and engineering will have to treat the development of completely closed systems as a fundamental principle. Climate change would be a good place to get some practice in.

Saw this bad boy on someone’s feed a while back and have been hankering for one since (but not enough to make one)

1 Like

funnily enough we’ve recently started drinking non-alcoholic beers. Previously we drank every day, not a lot, just regularly. So we’ve cut back massively, I reckon we easily drink less than half what we did before and I tend to have 3-4 days off per week. I feel much better, was always so run down before.

Yeah, newer non-alcoholic beers can be pretty good. There’s a lot online to try, there’s not all great and some are personal taste but you’re guaranteed to find some you like. They’re also one of the healthiest things you can drink, prob second behind water imo. Next to no alcohol/sugar, no caffeine. Nanny State has something like 26 calories a can.

Absolutely with you here (for all my commentary above).

2 Likes

had some in the falafel place in Norwich. absolutely delicious (and I’m an avowed meatie).

1 Like

Had Nanny State the other week by mistake. Quite nice if its properly chilled

2 Likes

Yeah, same - did a lot of home drinking.

I think Kaliber sort of became synonymous with alcohol beers, and that was crap. Just done an order off DryDrinker actually. Great selection.

You can get prepared pulled jackfuit in Sainsbury’s. Not tried it yet due to stocking it at the same time as Tofurkey.

2 Likes

Noice

I got a box from Beerhawk. I think I’m in the minority but I actually think Becks Blue is my go to standard non-alc lager. It doesn’t have that sweetness a lot of them have, and it seems to have a bit more body than Nanny State which can taste a bit watery after a while.

Big Drop Brewery stuff is nice, though again I’m in the minority liking the stout they do.

Not sure whether we should be encouraged or discouraged that a DiS thread about climate change has morphed into a discussion about beer and jackfruit.

6 Likes

like all heavy threads, this is a breather period before someone posts something more serious and the fear returns

:pensive:

1 Like

i guess most people on here are familiar with the dakota access pipeline, probably one of the most heartbreaking and dispiriting environmental stories of the last few years. new developments here

1 Like