Climate Crisis

New report says we’ve got 12 years to keep temperature rises to 1.5C:

https://twitter.com/IPCC_CH/status/1049205935388811265?s=19

Obviously this isn’t the cheeriest subject, but let’s try not to descend into complete hopelessness.

Yeah, we’re doomed.

13 Likes

Nobody’s going to do anything about it so shrugs

we’re not going to do it, no one gives a shit

1 Like

Regular brain: don’t worry, surely They will never let things get too bad

Solar system brain: total hopelessness is the only appropriate reaction

Galaxy brain: hope this all happens in the next ten years or I’ll be too old to become Wasteland King

7 Likes

Yeah, I wasn’t saying the thing about hopelessness in the OP for a laugh, if you just want to say “there’s no point in anything” then you’re actively discouraging anyone from trying.

It’s one of those “if you don’t have anything constructive to say…” things.

1 Like

feeling like you’re living just on the outer edge of the end times is a strange thing.

Such a great way to justify inaction to myself, lack of self-reflection, feeding a dependency on my anxiety.

I wonder if I crave and enjoy this in a perverse way.

Cult leader, demi-god.

2 Likes

Not with the current governments that we have in charge in the most influential countries, no.

Which is even more reason to try and disrupt the status quo, and to join, to campaign for and to vote for people advocating an alternative, if you can, imho.

1 Like

Yeah but if you’re going to post this first thing on a Monday morning

1 Like

try to speed it up by burning old papers, books etc., to wipe out all but a few innocent vestiges of humanity, who can emerge blinking into a beautiful pristine world once gaia has shrugged us off and reasserted balance in nature? (not sure this will work)

1 Like

don’t worry guys, starbucks aren’t using plastic straws any more, it’s all under control

8 Likes

think about stuff like this all the time. it’s a huge uphill battle to get people to use their washing machine at a slightly lower temperature or to get them to turn off lights or whatever.

actually changing anything just isn’t going to happen.

1 Like

Appropriately this just appeared in my twitter feed

Not a single suggestion that the good people of Musselburgh just drive less. Living walls everywhere!

Got myself a talking walking living wall

1 Like

Mad that they’ll be gunboats actively hunting African migrants in the Mediterranean in a few years instead of them just being left to drown as they are now.

1 Like

Apparently the biggest plastic in the sea is fishing nets.

But I always thought that on Celeb Island, Bear Grylls was just throwing that net in and being like “oh look the celebrities have found a washed up fishing net!”

1 Like

I’m going to Mars with Elon, suckers!

2 Likes

Nice, The Apprentice 2050 is gonna be great

2 Likes

Shirley the solution will come from some great technological leap that has serious economic benefits. Sooner or later someone will invent fucking massive batteries that can be powered by burning plastic with zero emissions and we’ll all be saved.