Climbing thread 2.0 - big crimpin' 💪 ✊

Sadpunks and ATs advice is on point. Just get down to your nearest climbing centre and do an intro course. I weigh 15 stone, it won’t matter at all in the start. I’d say 25% at my wall are beginner’s on week nights and climbers are generally a bunch of ripped nerds and really friendly.

4 Likes

Good luck mate, first few months as you gain confidence are the best.

3 Likes

Thanks! I went today and it was fun but the skin on my hands is paper thin and got a bit torn up

2 Likes

It toughens up quickly :muscle:

1 Like

Just a sign you gave yourself a good work out :+1:. It’ll be fine in a couple of days, pick up some finger tape if you need it.

Bloody hell the Arch at a weekend is way less pleasant with just one centre, huh? Not that it was good before…

1 Like

Yup, I’ve only been once since it reopened and which coincided with me moving to North London. Got there when it opened and it was fine but by midday when I left there was a 20m queue to get in. The Castle isn’t as bad but was busy today, quite often kids running around that you worry about falling on.

1 Like

anyone been to yonder in walthamstow on the weekend (LME-focused q)? thinking about seeing what it’s like but - as aphex and zorb have pointed out - the arch is a terrible nightmare on the weekend so I don’t want to go if it’s anything like that

I hadn’t heard of it tbh. It’s only a 20 minute cycle from me so I should try it at some point. Stronghold is across the river in Tottenham, I’ve never seen it busy there so with it being a little further out it might be fine? I’d give it a go, I’ve been to 5 or so climbing centres in London and the Arch is the only one too busy for me to avoid in peak times.

1 Like

Niche content!

Just found out the Depot are dropping the woods as a set. Gutted tbh. I love the woods. :sob::sob::sob::sob:

1 Like

Huh, they just reset ours this week. Nothing as bad as climbing them the same day when they’re damp from being washed…

They’ve said the holds wear too quickly and no one climbs them. Such a shame as I really like the difference in hold type and texture.

1 Like

Yeah I’m a fan generally. New set of v4-6 here are about v8 :grimacing:

Thats a shame, I always found some of them really interesting.

1 Like

Climbed v8 outside for the first time since May. First time I’ve done the grade on a vert climb rather than on big ol’ overhangs. Go Pro died just before the send (dog ate my homework) but got a nice snippet of me doing the crux different to every video of the climb the go before.

3 Likes

Nice work, looks solid.

1 Like

Climbs really nicely - more about body position than brute strength.

Pretty creative use of your right foot. I don’t think I’ve thought to use mine at that angle.

Ha! Just wanted as much friction as possible to make the hand swap. It’s 100% not the intended method…

Edit: as if there’s an ‘intended’ method outside!

Anybody got any shoe recommendations? I got a pair of Simond Vertika from Decathlon but I got a hole next to the big toe within 6 months. Been considering the Scarpa Vapour V which are £70 on gooutdoors.co.uk