Climbing thread 2.0 - big crimpin' šŸ’Ŗ āœŠ

Anyone got any recommendations on books for bouldering technique? Preferably something smallish I could have on me at the wall to flick through when Iā€™m resting.

Iā€™ve read a couple and found them pretty unhelpful / overly general but that might partly reflect that I was already climbing up to v6/7 when I first read one.

If youā€™re climbing v4ish then youā€™ve probably got the fundamentals in place like twisting your body on overhangs, when to step through, flag, rockover, etc.

Without having seen you climb I would guess the number 1 thing you will need to do is really use your feet and engage your core. Iā€™m still guilty of this - my basic finger strength is about v11 level but Iā€™ve climbed all of 2 v9s outsideā€¦ Chances are youā€™re often placing your feet on holds rather than weighting them properly.

Get on the moon board (youā€™re still at the arch, right?) and select a bunch of problems a bit below your max grade (moonboard grades are outrageousā€¦) and really work to not cut loose on moves by driving your feet into the holds. In particular, find climbs which require you to use those garbage screw-on footholds.

Also think about little ways you might be wasting power on climbs. Cutting loose unnecessarily is obvious but consider also:

• do you find you make lots of little adjustment to your hand position on holds? Could you eliminate these?
  • when youā€™re throwing for a hold are you hitting it at the deadpoint (i.e. when your body is neither travelling up or coming back down) or overshooting and hitting it on the way down (more force needed to reverse the momentum)?
  • are you holding holds correctly? Amount of times I see good climbers crimping with 3 fingers on a hold that could fit 4 is baffling.

Repeat climbs. You did your project after 4 sessions and 40 attempts? Do it again! Internalise successful climbing.

Visualise making hard/scary moves. When I take a step back I often realise Iā€™ve just spent 30 mins imagining falling off. What would it look like if I stuck the move? How would it feel? It helps, honest.

Video yourself. Watch the videos of failure and analyse them, not just the instaworthy ones.

Long post, huh?

Oh, finally, deconstruct moves. First iā€™m gonna push with my right leg for power, then my left hand is directing that power upwards, then iā€™m throwing my right when my leg is straight, etc

3 Likes

Nope, sorry. Only book Iā€™ve read on climbing is ā€œ9 out of 10 climbers make the same mistakesā€ and I didnā€™t find that all that useful.

1 Like

Hey climbers, magnus midtbĆø is a cool guy innit

1 Like

This is me.

I find I really have to focus on weighting feet. They stick SO much better but itā€™s counter intuitive. ā€œOoh, this foothold is really shit, better load it with all my weight!ā€ :smiley:

1 Like

Never met him tbh

Just googled him and :muscle::muscle::muscle::muscle::muscle:

1 Like

Yeah heā€™s top 10 globally male lead climbing

As always thanks for such a thorough response.

Iā€™m quite lackadaisical with my climbing and really need to think about what Iā€™m doing rather than sauntering up finish-able routes until Iā€™m tired. Itā€™d maybe be useful to have a book covering the basics to flick through and think about while resting between fingerboard sessions. TBH itā€™d probably help to print out what you typed and repeat it to myself.

Finished a couple of v5 routes but v4ish in general. Switched to The Castle when I moved to North London but Stronghold and Yonder are close. No moonboard but I can focus on some overhang routes with smaller holds. Iā€™ve found roof work good for analysing how I utilise my core and feet.

Your bullet points are top tips, got an overhang v4 and 2 v5s Iā€™m gonna focus on tonight and ask myself those questions until Iā€™ve got the routes down.

:raised_hands:

2 Likes

Pleasure!

Yeah donā€™t mean to be too down on climbing books - ultimately anything which makes you think about the mechanics of climbing, how youā€™re using all of your body, and helps you identify things to improve is going to be a good thing for your climbing.

Fun though, innit?

1 Like

If only it wasnā€™t as fun as the prospect of sauntering up what currently looks impregnable.

1 Like

New Dawn documentary on 'flix is excellent. Iā€™d read about the Kyrgyzstan thing before but seeing all the interviews is a very hard-hitting watch. Would recommend to non-climbers as well.

1 Like

Fucking hell I canā€™t comprehend how that must have felt. Like the adrenaline I feel when Iā€™m about to pull on something Iā€™ve worked on for a few sessions outdoors that Iā€™m close on can be pretty intense - that many years and that long on the wallā€¦ Felt very emotional at the end

Got down to the peak for the first time in a year yesterday to meet a couple of pals from London. Fun day at Burbage West and Burbage Bridge and collected a couple more 7a ticks including The Nose, which is a great climb with an absolutely desperate landing. If you look closely in this vid you can see one of the mats folded over a massive shard of rock :grimacing: Thankfully I was able to ignore the sketchy heel-hook youā€™re meant to use and just campus through the crux :sunglasses:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvZrlyvgPYh/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1l1r3rb2rttaq

2 Likes

Alright big crimpers, how are we all getting on?

I discovered there is a crag 10 mins from my newish place of work which is basically a big olā€™ overhang with lots of problems between 7a+ and 7c. Quite psyched to get projecting as the evenings get longer. Had a little reccy yesterday and ended up doing this 7a+ which was right up my street.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvkOLgbAy87/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1kducvv6d6glm

2 Likes

You practically campus that! :muscle::muscle::muscle::muscle::muscle:

Still all indoors, but going to The Climbing Unit in Derby more. Itā€™s a bigger centre than the Depot and the route setting is soooooo much better. The routes are much harder, but the difficulty is in technique, not just that the holds are smaller and/or further away.

Theyā€™ve got much more roof stuff so Iā€™m focussing on building that skill up. Itā€™s going slowly and I have to drop a few grades to send stuff, but Iā€™m hoping my heels, toes and bicycle game will be all the better for it.

2 Likes

Haha for once thatā€™s actually the beta! Cool little crag - all the climbs start off vertical before hitting the overhanging section then finishing on hero jugs. Perfect!

Roof climbing is a very different skill innit? Satisfying, though, and plays to my strengths! Love a good bicycle, preferably coupled with a powerful gaston followed by a showboating campus :wink: I imagine the core and upper back strength will convert well into general overhangs.

1 Like

No doubt just triggered planikā€™s news alerts

2 Likes

Nice! :smiley:

Yeah, Iā€™m consistently hitting just below my best-effort grade on the steepest overhangs now, but on actually roofs Iā€™m like a spasming jellyfish.

1 Like

Going good, completing about 75% of the v3/v4 problems at the Castle. Theyā€™ve just set a good bunch of v5 problems and I reckon a couple of them should be doable if I project them. Finally, downloaded the Crimpd app, need to dedicate an evening a week to those exercises.

Visiting family this weekend, bringing my shoes to check out Wetherby Crag for a bit of traversing.

1 Like