Cloud Nothings 2018 (Last Building Burning)

Absolute nonsense.

1 Like

madness

5 Likes

I can’t say I thought the last was any great departure either tbh. Thought maybe the main guy didn’t do it many favours ahead of release by indicating it was at once a difficult writing process and also some sea change (can’t remember but didn’t he call it easy listening or something?)

The crucial difference with this campaign is that he’s put some trousers on for the new press photos.

Just 2.6k posts to go, lads

5 Likes

That’s fine. Glad you like it. The more people that like and buy cloud nothings stuff the better.

2 Likes

I find their ‘noisier’ songs (including that new one) a bit boring to be honest, think they’re much better when they go more direct - Here and nowhere else, Stay Useless, Fall in etc…

Which is probably why I liked the most recent album the most - it’s consistently great the whole way through, whereas the others are way more peaks and troughs.

It’s probably more the fact that you assume Life Without Sound wasn’t received that well because people are underwhelmed by “just another consistently good album”. It’s a bit ‘tin-hat’

They actually use the phrase “return to form”. You don’t shit on a record from last year unless you know it was a mistake

That could be speaking to the part of the fan base that they know they alienated in order to generate excitement. But even if it’s genuine, artists aren’t necessarily perfect at assessing their prior output (Radiohead’s revised tracklist for HTTT for instance, and recently Ben Gibbard ranking the Death Cab albums).

1 Like

despite not liking the last album that much they were fucking great in Leeds, blew The Hotelier out the water, probably cos they only played like one track from the newest album i guess

…nothing about my reply suggests you shouldn’t like the album. You just made assumptions about why others didn’t like it

The last album is fucking amazing. Seriously considering a temporary ban for @Icarus-Smicarus and @shinymcshine :wink:

What I don’t like is this quote

“I wrote this because I feel like there aren’t too many rock bands doing this right now,” says frontman Dylan Baldi. “A lot of the popular bands with guitars are light. They sound good, but it’s missing the heaviness I like.”

which feels like something out of the NME 2001 playbook of Indie bullshit.

Also why is there a European version?

and a non Euro one

?

1 Like

Bit worrying to be on the same side as @TTF/@TAFH33 in a music thread to be honest.

1 Like

It’s good if you’re into Weezer and stuff I guess?

1 Like

Well Weezer are a classic example of a great band that did one album and then fucked off never to tarnish their image so we can’t really compare like with like.

A few bands’ bandcamps have this, namely Goat and King Gizzard. Not sure why, always presumed it’s something to do with physical edition shipping options, setting them up to ship from two different locations or something? Not sure if two versions are necessary for that, who knows.

1 Like

Yeah I guess that makes sense. Wasn’t sure if there was a tax aspect maybe but I think Bandcamp handle that side.

New song is pretty solid, but any track that lets the drummer show off his mad chops is good with me.

oh it’s kicking off now lads!!!

1 Like

maybe Cloud Nothings can test this theory by releasing their third good album