Coffee wankers update

Like the look of that. Might buy one.

Can’t trust them. They’ve said it’s “patented” but it isn’t, there’s no granted patents on it, only applications. If they’ve marked the product as patented that’s a criminal offence in the UK. Ahm oot.

(I am exceptionally bored)

1 Like

Well don’t spread your boredom around, tyvm!

Is it ridiculous, a little bit pointless, and silly expensive? Yes. Do I kind of want it? Absolutely.

I’ve started subscribing to the Has Bean coffee delivery thing and got my first bag o’ beans at the weekend. El Salvador La Gloria Washed Bourbon apparently. Just made a cup with the ol’ aeropress (inverted method, brewed for exactly 2 minutes - no idea if this is the best method but after much trial and error this is how I like it) and it’s utterly delicious. Best coffee I’ve had in ages. I feel like a bona fide coffee wanker today and I’m loving it.

3 Likes

What’s your standard ideal strength rating for coffee?

• Don’t drink coffee
  • 0 - (decaf)

0 voters

No chat. just poll.

sorry but i’m going to have to chat

strength = what? type of roast? how many “shots” in an espresso-based drink? caffeine? doesn’t all coffee have the same “amount” of caffeine?

I’m gunna chat too

I find strength 5 coffee tends to means it’s a dark roast, which I find too bitter outside espresso.

So I usually seek out strengths 3 or preferably 4 for cafetiere and aeropress

I thought strength was out of 10?

if you’re buying coffee which has a “strength” number on it, you’re buying the wrong coffee and are therefore barred from this thread

^taps sign

2 Likes

Actually the cheap stuff makes some of the nicest coffee I am able to make in the office.

Would love to spend £6.50 on Monmouth every single time but I’d be drinking myself out of house and home

I think my aeropress is dead. When I plunge (I’m general, may I add) the plunger struggles and traps air then with enough pressure BAM! hot coffee all out the sides and across the kitchen tops. The pressure I’m having to apply is too much. Been mildly burnt three times this weekend.

Anyone else have this problem? Is it just cos it’s old now?

Sounds like your seal isn’t… sealing. Get a new rubber bit? (bout £6 on Amazon)

You use paper filters? If it’s metal, make sure the metal is cleaned.

When you screw the bottom thing on make sure the notches line up, if you follow?. Try wetting the seal before plunging.

You get that with a cafetiere if water cannot pass through the filter when you plunge. As @Matt_was_taken suggested, take a look at the filter end of the chamber.

Cheers. Got a metal filter innit, try and clean it with a toothbrush every few weeks but maybe some old coffee’s just stuck in there now?

Was thinking maybe my friend’s too fine?

Fucking autocorrect is on one today. Grind’s too fine, my friends are all pricks.

Also £6.50! What a barg.

Last bag of fancy beans I bought cost me $15.

Yep, that’s a possibility too