Coffee wankers update

no, didn’t see that. I bought a big bag of beans from them the other day though

Coffee Wankers - talk to me about grinders. I’ve got a fairly basic Krups one at the moment, but it’s an inexact science trying to get it ground to the right consistency, and I always grind too many beans, and it’s a ballache to clean, so I’ve dropped some unsubtle hints about a decent one for my birthday.

What’s the one that begins with W that people mentioned? Do people still rate it? Are there others I should be looking at.

Also, I just looked at a couple on Amazon, and the minimum number of cups it grinds for is 2. What’s that all about? I only want one cup of coffee in the morning! (Or is 2 the setting for a mug of coffee and you’d only want a 1 setting if you were making a tiny cup)

I’ve recenty upgraded from the same Krupps one to the one everyone recommends (sorry forgotten the name too!)

it is very good - and it happily grinds one cups worth of coffee

1 Like

think the only thing is it doesn’t grind enough for a “proper” espresso machine - but does aeropress/ V60/ mocha pots etc just fine

Wilfa Svart is the one you’re thinking of, I think. Can’t speak to the quality of it though.

I use a Knock Feldgrind handgrinder. Really precise, and imo a bit faster than other handgrinders I’ve used.

Thanks @grievoustim, @sweetverbs.

Anyone know what the differences are between the grinders that come in around £60 / £65 and the Wilfa one which looks like it’s about £100? Is it really 50% better?

Better burrs most likely, and has a guide for the grind setting which I find quite useful. Drink a lot more coffee now because I couldn’t be bothered with how long it was taking with my little hario hand grinder where as this takes like 5 seconds. Seems to be the best grinder for the price range as well.

I’ve got ^that baratza. it’s pretty good.

Broke our v60 decanter this morning after three solid years of use:

Might just get one of these to replace it:

Unless there’s any other exciting V60 2+ cup thing out there?

I only learned recently that V60 is just the Hario brand name for it, and other filter things are available. Might be worth looking into that.

Not much help, admittedly, but I’m the only coffee drinking in our house, so there’s only need for a single mug top V60 for me.

yeah, i know that but i bulk-buy the filters so am invested in the “system” for the time being :thinking:

that decanter is only £14 though. really any jug to fit a 02 V60 thingy would do but i’ve totally bought into all of hario’s minimal branding, so :woman_shrugging:

I won’t go for anything that says Citrus or Fruity.

I’m all about the nutty and the chocolatey

2 Likes

love a fruity coffee

but i normally buy according to roast, cos lighter roasts are better for filter

I can’t stand fruity coffee! I think this is why I don’t like the super fancy coffee places too much as they always seem to be fruity.

1 Like

Nutty / chocolatey for my morning V60. Citrusy / Fruity for cold brew.

I’d say splash out and treat yourself:

https://www.hario.co.uk/hario-v60-olive-wood-bundle.html

wow the price!!!

I did not enjoy those Frank Green cups :confused: I accidentally left the tv’s one in IKEA but we were both quite glad I did tbh.

I know! The Hario website has got some ridiculous stuff on it. Maybe it’s time to move on from V60:

holy shit