Coffee wankers update

Sorry to be negative in the thread, but the absolute state of this:

click through for other nasty things they’ve said.

1 Like

Ugh! I hope a Starbucks opens up right next door and steals all their business.

In other news, Jimbo poked his head into the brand new Pelicano round the corner from us earlier this morning, and asked my other half if they’d had a fire:

1 Like

Bloody hell, their twitter feed is absolutely tragic. Could be any one of a million racist facebook uncles decided to start an edgelord coffee brand.

That can’t be a real place, looks like something rejected from Nathan barley for being too obvious

In other news I watched the posh coffee YouTube guy talk about aero press for about an hour so gonna spend all weekend doing taste tests now

1 Like

if you mean the chap I’m thinking of, I’ve gone off him since he said Krispy Kreme donuts are the perfect dessert

3 Likes

Got myself a fancy new pourover thing, it’s an Origami dripper. It’s ceramic and pretty and I love it. Got a Hario cube stand and a Hario glass decanter, it’s all so nice!

Got a new grinder on the way (1Zspresso JX) and I think that’ll be me “done” for now. Bloody love this stuff.

5 Likes

You always think that, and then…

Ha I know, it’s part of the joy of it

Update to this, got the new grinder

It’s the 1Zpresso JX (pronounced easypresso as 1 is ee in mandarin or something like that), it’s lovely! Feels really solid, massive range of grind settings, grinds pretty much as fast as my previous electric grinder with very little physical effort.

It’ll take a while to get the settings right, but that’s part of the fun isn’t it?

(RE: the picture, the grinder isn’t especially big, I just have little hands)

2 Likes

Lovely socks and tiles you’ve got, there.

Why thank you - I considered editing them out, but life is too short

1 Like

That would be insane editing to get rid of all those tiles. You’re right - life’s far too short

2 Likes

Hi

Is this grinder any good?

https://www.bodum.com/gb/en/11750-01uk-bistro?gclid=Cj0KCQjw4v2EBhCtARIsACan3nykBfuJNf_myg7fpxIXCM7QpwXTIq3ElKP5o-Q5CKEcYhCKraug40AaAiKnEALw_wcB&___store=gb_en

Making cold brew with a hand grinder is giving me tendonitis.

Thanks

If you’re spending £100 on an electric grinder I’d be more inclined to go with the Baratza Encore or Wilfa Svart.

1 Like

I’ve got this too - thanks for the tip on how it’s pronounced though, I was saying 1 Zed Presso which clearly rolls off the tongue. Brilliant hand grinder even when using it for espresso which I think a lot of other hand grinders fall short of.

I bought a second hand Gaggia Classic just after first lockdown, which definitely has its limitations when making consecutive drinks but loving it and so happy I got it. Have just this week bought a V60 which I’ll have to get used to, finding it a bit of a faff at the moment but might be something I use over the weekends.

Been buying beans between Horsham, Hasbean and Round Hill. Round Hill have been the best for me so far in general but you will spend a touch more with them. Any other recommendations welcome!

Huh? It’s literally just pouring hot water over ground beans? Isn’t it?

2 Likes

There’s a lot of techniques that can be used to make surprisingly different tasting drinks. I’ve been using the same coffee, same grind, same temperature of water, and only varying the pouring technique (timing, how many pours etc) and it makes a huge difference to the flavour

Maybe I’ve just got my routine down then. I maintain my position though - using a v60 is probably the most straightforward way in my eyes of making “proper” coffee

2 Likes

I’ve linked it before but this is great

Yeah, I just need to get into the routine and get my preferred method and recipe down I think but it definitely takes longer which adds to my faff comment. I will see how it goes but will stick with it.

1 Like