Coldplay or Oasis

Oasis. First two albums were genuinely great. And at that time in the UK it felt like they were unstoppable. They’ve just gone downhill now and it’s sludgey dad-rock that taints them. If they stopped after 1/2 LPs they would be revered. Noel is great, genuinely funny, and even he admits they peaked early.

Coldplay, some great songs…but they just aren’t for me. I remember an interview before one of their albums where they were saying they were trying different things, new sounds and getting ready to lose fans as they were risking so much. I don’t know if they scrapped some of the songs, or changed production or what…but it’s not like they did any such thing. I tried to find the article, but can’t.

2 Likes

I can’t remember where but i read a review of a coldplay album that said they were pushing really hard to be different and weird and challenging but it still sounded incredibly safe. they can be experimental but only within the boundaries of big stadium rock… which means they’re about as experimental as a fosters drinker trying stella.

that said, i do genuinely like coldplay, first four albums all have at least a few tunes i like. i don’t think they’re interesting, i can’t imagine any situation where i’d put them on in a social situation but i do still listen to them.

for me, oasis were the band that soundtracked that brilliant bit in life around 17/18 where you feel like literally anything is possible. they’re one of the bands i’d most like to see if i had a time machine circa 95/96, i listen to their live sets from that time now and then, cracking stuff

oasis have a great story arc too, love the story about them going to record Be Here Now, someone trying to buy an ounce of weed and accidentally ending up with an ounce of coke instead

Coldplay audience is pretty right wing m8 (according to yougov anyway)

Liam is much funnier than Noel btw

Mate, Coldplay were fucking huge, comparable globally to Oasis at their peak too.

They’re both dull and only have maybe a 10 track album of listenable stuff between them, but I would rather listen to the complete songs of Coldplay on repeat for a week than suffer through more than 48 hours of all of Oasis’ shite.

1 Like

Honestly both artists are ok in moderation. Coldplay have two albums that I could listen to and get some enjoyment out of(Viva La Vida +Parachutes) and same as Oasis. But Coldplay have never written a fun pop antham such as Don’t Look Back in Anger.

Obviously both artists are predictable to nauseating degrees and at their worst feel like parodies of themselves.

:smiley:

1 Like

Coldplay are definitely bigger globally than Oasis ever were.

2 Likes

i do it very, very consciously

bonehead said they should have just split up and disappeared forever after knebworth. probably something to that tbh.

1 Like

no, but i caught their encore when they went longer than primal scream at a festival, and remember it being pretty decent. they’re definitely the kind of band where its worth turning up just for the encore.

Hehe I must really not like his solo stuff… and I really don’t remember posting this

coldplay always the best for me, i ve been enjoy their since im at secondary school…give me more soul at love matter…really good. alot of quote i got from their music

4 Likes

Chris Martin wrote two great songs and became a vegan.

Gallagher defined British guitar music for a decade.

No contest really is it.

1 Like

shit decade though.

I get it: one of them got something right but they were both shit as far as music went?

Supersonic is f**kin brilliant though isn’t it? Those guitars! Beautiful

1 Like

I always liked Married with Children. Go Let It Out’s better than you remember too.

1 Like