Colin the Caterpillar-gate

Why are they picking on Aldi? Every supermarket has a caterpillar cake option these days:

Other cakes include Waitrose’s Cecil, Sainsbury’s Wiggles, Tesco’s Curly, and Asda’s Clyde the Caterpillar.

1 Like

Cuthbert is clearly the worst name of the bunch, so I fully support the case tbh

1 Like

Best named

• Colin
  • Cuthbert
  • Cecil
  • Curly
  • Clyde
  • Wiggles

0 voters

Bought a Clyde the Caterpillar cake on the weekend for my boys birthday. Was very nice indeed. No guilt.

It may be an uncool choice but I’m staying loyal to Colin. The ‘Cult of Colin’ may be a bit ridiculous these days, but he paved the way for those other caterpillars.

2 Likes

Wiggles is non-gendered and cute

if they could come up with something like that, but beginning with ‘C’, that’d be lovely

oh wait

something better than Curly

Cuddles

2 Likes

Cyborg

20 Likes

maybe

some caterpillars appear to be fluffy, so

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts: adorable

1 Like

(good for when robots have developed to the point they want birthday cake)

(unless that becomes like, an offensive term to future robots)

Actually yeah, I think I prefer Wiggles - sounds so cute!

1 Like

Any time I see one I can hear Richard Osmand saying “Colin the Caterpillar Cake” in my head. He picked it as his dream dessert on a podcast (which is ridiculous and attention seeking but that’s a side issue) and something about the way he enunciates it has really lodged onto my brain.

2 Likes

He’s big in Kent

1 Like

Clit the Caterpillar

1 Like

I quite like the aldi versus nestle kitkat story.

Paul Foley, the former Aldi CEO, who now runs his own retail consultancy, often tells his clients about his attempts to replicate a KitKat in the 1990s. It turns out this is really hard to do without the chocolate making the wafer soggy. Eventually, Aldi gave up. Foley asked his buyer to contact Nestlé’s UK office to announce Aldi’s surrender and request to stock KitKat. Nestlé would not return his call. So Foley ordered the bars from Germany, where they have a slightly different taste. Soon, Nestlé UK starting receiving complaints about the taste of its KitKats, and traced the problem back to Aldi. When they phoned Foley to complain, he “politely refused to cooperate”.

(The Aldi effect: how one discount supermarket transformed the way Britain shops | Aldi | The Guardian)

7 Likes

It takes a team of 47 people to lovingly make each Colin cake from start to finish.

i bet one person could manage if they really had to

12 Likes

I haven’t read their claim, but the two trade marks I’ve found are one for the name and one for the packaging. The Aldi packaging is extremely similar, so that could be a factor.

The other factor that I think is likely is that it’s going to be a lot easier for M&S to argue reputational damage, dilution of their brand, consumer confusion wrt quality against Aldi than e.g. Waitrose.

1 Like

I’ve never had a birthday cake