Colloquial Phrases

In Wales, people romanticise the word cwtch as though it’s the greatest word in any language ever to have existed (it means cuddle).

In Bristol, some people say “Blige!” instead of blimey, or something like that.

In Glasgow they apparently say “There yer dinner you absolute cunt” I have heard.

In Scotland, they say “excited for” instead of “excited about” which is obviously the grammatically correct way.

What colloquialisms does your shithole corner of the country have?

I am happy to confirm that yes we do in fact say ‘there’s yer dinner ya absolute cunt’

In South Yorkshire they say while instead of until/to. Fucking shit northern cunts

In the south of England they do this colloquial thing of saying all their vowel sounds incorrectly.

does anyone else say ‘goive’? apparently it’s a Winchester thing

(I am not from Winchester by the way, I’ve just been told that by people from Winchester)

Got a mate who reckons the term ‘wobby’ is fairly exclusive to Nottingham. Not sure if it is. I guess we’ll never know.

[imgur.com/pictureofMaryJBlige]

Monkey’s Blood = Raspberry sauce on ice cream.
Up a Height = Annoyed.
Gadgie = Bloke.
Radge/Radgie = Angry/Angry Bloke.
Gadgie Radgie = Another way of saying the above, for effect. Also the name of an OK local beer.
Howay Man/Wey Aye Man = Depends on the context and the way it’s said. Can be good or bad.

Not sure how I feel about the Geordie language. Sometimes it just sounds ridiculous.

Leet = crazy/mad. As in ‘that’s fucking leet’

Loads, i’m from Essex.

Stay over the river, hereditary enemy (who talks much the same as us).

I’m from Nottingham and I’ve never heard of it, reckon your mate’s taking the piss

Trying to think of some:
Gattered for pissed-kind of paraletic level
Addressing people as mush
Leaving out prepositions like to as much as humanly possible

Words which my pronunciation makes people mock me for:
Down
House
Shower
Staples

so many words. so many words.

divvint
gis a deeks
dook
eeeeeeeeee
workie ticket
gan radge
micey
dafty
doylem
nebby
clarty
claggy
hyem
scratcha
kip
dancers
knappa
set-ahaad
grab ahaad
caad
foisty
hoy
stott
dunch inntev is
knacks
fettle
prog
twock
geet
geet walla
haddaway an shite
blatherin
mebbes
plodge
narf (not half)
bait/scran
kets
charva
aald
netty. cackhoose.
blaa oot. on the hoy. get mortal.
faalen wrang
mings, hings, hums
meffin
thday, thmorra, thorsday
can’t believe ‘honkers’ is regional and that other people say ‘haunchers’. see also: spelk, tabs, willicks, sandshoes, shuggy boats
lots of them also appear in scots: midgee, bairn etc.

i’m a massive fan of pitmanc, too- “jern get the derg urn” is the best sentence ever

pitmatic not pitmanc. dunno where i got that from.

say charva down my way too, right down the other end.

Absolutely love ‘twock’ and ‘dunch’.

I remember the rise of ‘ladgeful’ to mean either unfair or untrustworthy/ criminal when I worked in schools (just one, actually it might have been a Jesmond / Gosforth thing.)

people who live in the ards peninsula say Booaat instead of boat
people from Ballymena say ‘Hai’ at the end of sentences, but I think this has become a bit of a meme recently so cannot be trusted